With its extravagant performances and daring red-carpet looks, the Grammy Awards have been known to elicit a few eyebrow raises. The 62nd annual awards show is right around the corner (aka Sunday, January 26), and what better way to warm up for music’s biggest night than by revisiting the 12 most shocking moments in Grammys history? (Air guitar solos excluded.)
1. When J.Lo Took the Plunge (2000)
Who could forget J.Lo’s verdant Versace bathing suit coverup dress? All we can say is thank goodness for double-sided tape.
2. And M.I.A. was About to Pop (2009)
3. When Lady Gaga Made an Egg-stravagant Entrance (2011)
Mother Monster arrived at the award show securely nestled in an enormous egg and, in true Gaga fashion, emerged from her shell onstage.
4. And Pink’s Performance Defied Gravity (2014)
The Beautiful Trauma singer proved her acrobatic skills match her vocals with a jaw-dropping aerial performance. Now that’s multitasking.
5. When Madonna Bared Her Assets (2015)
Madge gave cheeky a new meaning when she flashed her bum on the Grammys red carpet.
6. And Kanye West Tried to Overshadow Beck (2015)
History nearly repeated itself (remember the 2004 MTV Video Music Awards with Taylor Swift?) when the Famous singer stormed the stage after Beck won Best Album instead of West’s first pick, Beyoncé. A bewildered Beck invited him to say a few words, but the Louis Vuitton Don returned to his seat like a good Kanye.
7. When Kristen Wiig Did Her Best Sia Impression (2015)
Wiig took a break from making us giggle and donned a leotard and Sia wig for a half-creepy, half-impressive modern dance performance with Maddie Ziegler to “Chandelier.” We’re still trying to figure out if it was a farce or not…
8. When Beyoncé Was an Actual Angel (2017)
9. And Blue Ivy Shushed Beyoncé and Jay-Z (2018)
If it were anyone else, we’d be calling blasphemy.
10. When Kesha Performed a Beyond Powerful Rendition of ‘Praying’ (2018)
Along with Bebe Rexha, Cindi Lauper, Julia Michaels, Andra Day and Camila Cabello, no less. Did we mention everyone was in all white? Perhaps awe-inspiring might be a better word.
11. And Cardi B Performed ‘Finesse’ While Secretly Pregnant (2018)
The “Bodak Yellow” rapper famously said she had butterflies in her you-know-what before the performance and clapped back at speculation she was pregnant by saying, “I’m just getting fat. Let me fat in peace.”…And then there was baby Kulture. Never change, Bardi.
12. And finally, when Alicia Keyes played not one, but two pianos (2019)
The “No One” singer performed a melody of throwback songs…with one hand on each piano.