A killer Halloween party calls for popcorn balls, pizza bagels and tons of candy—when you’re a kid. Grown-ups, on the other hand, get their scare on with snacks that are more classy than kitschy, but still scream fall. Here are 55 recipes for Halloween appetizers—from cheesy dips to bite-size treats—that can get anyone in the spirit.
1. Sweet Potato Crostini
Choose your (fancy) fighter: smoked salmon or cranberry-almond.
2. Cranberry, Brussels Sprouts and Brie Skillet Nachos
This appetizer is chic enough for a dinner party yet approachable enough for the kids to devour (just look at all that cheese).
3. Pumpkin Soup in Mini Pumpkin Bowls
Hello, autumn. Make sure you hang onto the pumpkin seeds—roasted pepitas are the ultimate crunchy finishing touch.
4. Delicata Squash Rings with Garlic-Lemon Sauce
Potatoes could never.
5. Bacon, Onion and Asiago Fondue
The ultimate cure for a chilly Halloween night? An ooey-gooey skillet of meat and cheese, of course.
6. Prosciutto and Fig Salad Board
If you’re sick of all your salad’s tasty toppings falling to the bottom of the bowl, consider your problem solved.
7. Roasted Mixed Nuts
It’s one of the most timeless snacks around, but a mix of spices and fresh herbs is all it takes for a modern update.
8. Mini Apple Tarts
The secret to these bite-sized goodies? Baking them in mason jar lids.
9. Pumpkin Pizza Crust with Arugula and Prosciutto
Psst: We figured out what you should do with that spare can of pumpkin purée in the pantry.
10. Baked Brie with Figs, Pistachios and Orange
So good you’ll want it for Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas and every day in between.
11. Cheesy Polenta Bites with Brussels Sprouts and Pancetta
Beware: These cornbread-Parmesan hybrids will haunt your party guests long after they’re gone.
12. Brie-Stuffed Pretzel Bites
The same snack you loved as a child is all grown up, thanks to swapping neon-orange nacho cheese with creamy Brie.
13. French Onion Cups
Nothing warms the soul quite like French onion soup. Besides puff pastry-wrapped French onion soup, obvi.
14. Pumpkin Polenta
Whether you serve it as an appetizer or side dish, pumpkin polenta is about to become your newest holiday tradition.
15. Savory Pumpkin Dip
Pumpkin purée meets cream cheese, shredded cheddar, toasted pecans and all the bacon.
16. Cranberry-Brie Pie Crust Bites
Halloween has never looked this gourmet.
17. Curried Parsnip Apple Soup
’Tis the season for all things apple. Go for a tart type, like a Granny Smith or Bramley.
18. Pumpkin Brioche
Halloween brunch is a go. Consider turning a loaf into French toast.
19. Baked Mac-and-Cheese Bites
Crispy on the outside, creamy and chewy on the inside.
20. Whipped Ricotta with Roasted Pumpkin
Your blender has this appetizer covered, so you’ll have plenty of time to put on your costume.
21. Baked Gorgonzola Bites
Careful, this snack is so addictive it’s scary.
22. Instant Pot Spicy Thai Butternut Squash Soup
Sure, your jack-o’-lantern looks amazing. But this Halloween-colored number will steal your guests’ hearts every time.
23. Mozzarella Bites
It's pretty much impossible to complain about fried cheese, right?
24. Cranberry-Brie Puff-Pastry Pops
They sure beat all the lollies the kids have ever gotten while trick-or-treating.
25. Roasted Pumpkin Hummus
Consider this spread pumpkin’s prettiest Halloween costume yet.
26. Pizza with Butternut Squash Sauce
Because you can do better than tomato sauce and pepperoni.
27. Boursin Cheese with Caramelized Onions and Bacon
Have crackers, will travel.
28. Mini Mason Jar Chicken Pot Pies
A gloomy autumn day is no match for these cuties.
29. Crisp Fall Green Salad with Benne Seed Ginger Dressing
We’re just making sure you get a dose of veggies before all that Halloween candy.
30. Honey-Roasted Chickpeas
Meet the most irresistible snack of all time. P.S., they taste like Cinnamon Toast Crunch.
31. Roasted Squash with Yogurt and Spiced Buttered Pistachios
Lemony yogurt and warm-spiced nuts can hold their own against sweet acorn, kabocha or red kuri squash.
32. Mini Caramel Pecan Pies with Cinnamon Roll Pie Crust
Halloween candy who? The kids will forget all about it when they meet these 45-minute wonders.
33. Butternut Squash and Goat Cheese Pasta Salad
Sorry, summer. You don’t own pasta salad. And this one has sweater season written all over it.
34. Cauliflower, Pomegranate and Apple Salad
Our go-to cruciferous vegetable can do anything. Just wait until you try it drizzled with tahini-honey dressing.
35. Mini Citrus Monkey Bread
A treat fit for a next-level breakfast buffet. We dare you to have just one.
36. Honey Ricotta Dip
Want to see some Halloween magic? Set this six-ingredient appetizer out for your guests and watch it vanish before your eyes.
37. Mashed Potato Fritters with Smoked Salmon and Chives
Forget the bagels. These fried patties are bursting with cheese, plus pair beautifully with smoked salmon and crème fraiche.
38. Brussels Sprouts Sliders
It turns out halved Brussels sprouts make the most adorable substitute for buns.
39. Apple Pie Biscuits
A late-night snack before ransacking the kids’ Halloween candy? Don’t mind if we do.
40. Crispy Roasted Artichokes
Spinach artichoke dip? Again? These are so much more unexpected (and the garlic aioli is life-changing).
41. Pumpkin Cream Cheese Bread
Not only does this dish boast a swirly design, but it’s also loaded with cinnamon streusel.
42. Jolly Rancher Candy Apples
Tell your little monsters to start digging through their Halloween hauls for ingredients.
43. Pumpkin Spice Puppy Chow
Regular old cereal gets an epic makeover, thanks to cookie butter (!!!), white chocolate chips and pumpkin pie spice.
44. Mini Mason Jar Apple Pies
Single-serve portions make it so much easier to not accidentally inhale half a pie in one sitting.
45. Snickers Dip
What’s a Halloween party without any candy?
46. Brown-Sugar Pear Puff Pastries
These would look even prettier under a scoop of vanilla ice cream. Just saying.
47. Biscuit Dough Pumpkin Hand Pies
The key to a foolproof flaky crust? Store-bought dough. Your secret is safe with us.
48. Mini Caramel Apples
This old-school Halloween snack is timeless. But using miniature Lady apples instead of the biggest ones you can find makes them way easier to eat.
49. Apple-Cider Doughnut Holes
It isn’t fall until you’ve had a few (ahem, dozen) of these poppable gems.
50. Chocolate Bark Halloween Brownies
We know we made a big deal about making your Halloween party as grown-up as possible. But a few candy eyeballs never hurt nobody.
51. Dorie Greenspan’s Miso-Maple Loaf
52. Roasted Broccoli and Bacon Pasta Salad
We can't decide what we love more, the crispy black pepper bacon or the buttery lemon-garlic breadcrumbs.
53. Jammy Upside-Down Onion Tart
Who knew frozen store-bought puff pastry could look so gourmet? Chalk it up to gooey caramelized onions doused in butter, sherry and herbs.