By Ayren Jackson-Cannady, REDBOOK
Before you Botox, try these five easy at-home tricks tofight agingnaturally.
1. Wash With Oil: Sounds terrifying, right? But you should relax and try it if you have dry, weary skin, says Miami Beach dermatologist Leslie Baumann, M.D.: "Many natural oils contain linoleic acid, which helps skin retain water." Start with 10 ml of olive oil, says natural skin-care expert Sharon Gnatt Epel, then mix in 2 drops of one of these oils: carrot seed to boost elasticity, frankincense to restore skin tone, or lavender to calm redness. Massage it in for thirty seconds, then rinse with warm water. We promise, no morning-after acne.
2. Rub These In: Meet the latest crop of natural time-busters from around the globe. African Anogeissus, found in Origins Plantscription antiaging serum, $55, stimulates production of fibrillin (a protein responsible for skin's "bounce back"). Kiehl's Rosa Arctica Youth Regenerating Cream, $60, is infused with Bulgarian Haberlea rhodopensis floral extract, a collagen booster. And sandthorn berry, a skin tightener, is found not only in some of the world's harshest climates but also in Yves Rocher Ovale Lifting Redensifying Night Care, $46, and Badger SPF 30 sunscreen, $16.
3. Massage the Years Off: You can smooth skin with D.I.Y. acupressure, according to Maya Kron, acupuncturist at James Corbett Studio, a New York City spa. These moves will release tension and boost elasticity. Using the index and middle fingers of one hand, massage between your brows for 20 rotations. Apply light pressure to temples for 10 seconds, then to your jawbone joint (located in front of your ears) for 10 seconds. Repeat. Lightly press the muscle that protrudes when you clench your teeth for 5 to 10 seconds.
Related: 6 Old Marriage Don'ts and Do's
4. Get Juiced: Salma Hayek is 44. How is that possible? The actress swears by juice cleanses, so much so that she cofounded Cooler Cleanse, a $58-a-day juice delivery program. During the three-day cleanse, you guzzle a whopping 18 pounds of organic fruits and veggies each day, says company cofounder Eric Helms. "This floods skin with vitamins A and C and other nutrients that boost cell turnover." No way you're spending more than your family's grocery budget on this regimen? Down a glass of green juice every day for a week instead. (At a juice bar or health-food store, ask for a blend of spinach, celery, parsley, lemon, pears, and cucumber.) By day seven your skin should feel softer and look more luminous. We'll drink to that.
Related: Weird Signs He Loves You
5. Snack on Superfoods: "Skin is a matrix of proteins, water, and fats that needs a nonprocessed food supply for replenishment," says dermatologist David Colbert, M.D., author of The High School Reunion Diet. Here are three line-softening nibbles to grab now: Almonds pack skin-plumping fats and vitamin E, a powerful antioxidant that helps offset UV damage. Dark chocolate with a cacao content of 72 percent or higher is rich in damage-fighting antioxidants as well. Blueberries give you a magic combo of antioxidants and collagen-protecting vitamin C.
More from REDBOOK:
Permissions: Reprinted with permission of Hearst Communications, Inc.