You’ve committed to upping your protein intake—it’s essential to muscle-building and hormone production, plus you could use the energy boost. But you don’t eat meat, dairy, eggs or any other animal products. Is it possible to follow a vegan diet and still pack your meals with protein? Yep, with tofu, quinoa, beans, nut butters and nut milks (and even some fruits, vegetables and grains), there are plenty of vegan and plant-based meals to choose from. From braised chickpeas to mac and cheese (really!), these high-protein vegan recipes are sure to keep you satisfied.
1. Chickpeas with Braised Summer Vegetables and Basil (14g protein)
Chickpeas aren’t just for hummus. Here, they’re cooked low and slow with rich tomato sauce for a dish that’s both comforting and light.
2. Vegan Sriracha ‘Meatballs’ with Noodles and Grilled Vegetables (18g protein)
The meatballs are so moist and flavorful, you’ll hardly believe they’re made from tofu.
3. Scrambled Tofu (21g protein)
Speaking of tofu, this scrambled version is tasty, filling and infinitely customizable. Even better, you don’t have to press it before cooking.
4. Vegan Fiesta Taco Bowl (28g protein)
Proof that a vegan salad doesn’t have to be a sad, sparse bowl of lettuce. Bring on the smoky seitan crumble and plant-based sour cream.
5. Vegan Lentil-Mushroom Burgers (16g protein)
This vegan burger is positively juicy, thanks to balsamic vinegar and portobello mushrooms.
6. Radicchio, Lentil and Apple Salad with Vegan Cashew Dressing (15g protein)
TBH, a creamy salad dressing is far superior to all others. Lucky for you, making a plant-based version is as easy as pie cashews.
7. Vegan Quinoa Breakfast Frittata (16g protein)
When you have chickpea flour, eggs need not apply.
8. Instant Pot Vegan Pho (17g protein)
Pho broth is traditionally simmered for hours, but thanks to your trusty Instant Pot, it can be ready in less than 30 minutes.
9. Vegan Keto Coconut Curry (18g protein)
Who says vegans can’t go keto? (And even if you’re not keto, it’s slurp-ably good.)
10. Vegan Chili ‘Cheese’ Dip (15g protein)
Gooey, velvety cheese dip is officially back on your meal plan. Pass the chips.
11. Vegan Butternut Mac and ‘Cheese’ with Smoky Shiitake ‘Bacon’ (21g protein)
Something about the sweet, salty, rich flavor of butternut squash lends itself perfectly to a vegan “cheese” sauce.
12. Cheesy Raw Vegan Zucchini Lasagna (21g protein)
Since there are no noodles, this one also happens to be gluten-free.
13. Creamy Vegan Pasta with Swiss Chard and Tomatoes (18g protein)
Thanks to non-dairy sour cream, it practically melts in your mouth.
14. Instant Pot Vegetable Lasagna with Vegan Basil Ricotta (26g protein)
You don’t even have to turn on the stove to make it. (And don’t get us started on the vegan ricotta.)
15. Vegan Kentucky Fried Chick’n (36g protein)
It’s pretty damn hard to tell that these tender, crispy nuggets aren’t made with meat. (Thanks again, seitan.)
16. Instant Pot Vegan Farro Risotto (27g protein)
17. Ginger Jasmine Rice (15g protein)
Scoop the rice into bowls, set out an array of toppings and watch the crowd go wild.
18. Easy Vegan Pesto-Parmesan Spaghetti with Zucchini (19g protein)
A plant-based dinner that’s ready to eat in 30 minutes? This is exactly what we’ve been looking for. Wait ’til you try the nut Parmesan.
19. Creamy Sweet Corn Pappardelle (20g protein)
The sweet, juicy corn kernels paired with the ‘milk’ from the cobs become a perfect cream sauce without using actual cream. You’re going to want seconds.
20. Julia Turshen’s Stewed Chickpeas with Peppers and Zucchini (18g protein)
To make it vegan, use plant-based mayo in the creamy lemon sauce.
21. Rainbow Collard Wraps with Peanut Butter Dipping Sauce (15g protein)
This beats a peanut butter sandwich any day.
22. Jackfruit Tacos with Grilled Pineapple (19g protein)
When tofu and black beans need a break, try jackfruit as your next taco filling. When cooked with spices, it tastes exactly like pulled pork.
23. Pasta alla Norma with Eggplant, Basil & Pecorino (26g protein)
Skip the pecorino and revel in the heaping plate of vegan pasta that’s waiting for you.
24. Creamy Vegan Lentil and Roasted Vegetable Bake (19g protein)
For being plant-based, this casserole is surprisingly indulgent (and delightfully hearty).
25. Chickpea and Vegetable Coconut Curry (26g protein)
Behold your new go-to dish when you’re craving takeout. The vegetables can be swapped with whatever’s sneaking around in your fridge.
26. Vegan Arancini (16g protein)
We’ll be serving these at all our future cocktail parties (and no one will know they’re vegan).
27. Donna Hay’s Best Veggie Burgers (28g protein)
Many homemade veggie burgers require a food processor and a bunch of random ingredients. This one is different—and so delicious.
28. Slow-Cooker Pasta e Fagioli Soup (21g protein)
Lose the Parmesan and you’re good to go. (You won’t even miss it.)
29. Crispy Tofu Steaks with Broccoli Rabe and Romesco (26g protein)
Tofu comes in all different styles and textures, but our favorite way to eat it is crispy—with romesco and lots of flaky salt, of course.
30. Tomato and White Bean Stew on Toast (22g protein)
Make this quick dish vegan-friendly by swapping the butter for olive oil. Psst: It reheats beautifully for leftovers.
31. Roasted Squash Salad with White Beans, Breadcrumbs and Preserved Lemon (14g protein)
This salad is all about the combination of different textures and flavors: buttery, crispy, tart, sweet and herbaceous.
32. Homestyle Rice and Beans (20g protein)
You can’t beat a classic.
33. Avocado and Black Bean Pasta Salad (18g protein)
Pasta and avocado are an unlikely pairing, but the creamy and chewy textures are delightful together.
34. Tempeh Bacon Bagels (30g protein)
Bye, bacon, egg and cheese.
35. Miso-Tahini-Glazed Roasted Eggplant with Farro
Even so-called eggplant haters will fall for this silky, tender version of the vegetable.