By Elettra Wiedemann
The other day, I woke up with a full HOUR to get my act together. Yet somehow, I still managed to run late and scramble out of the house, without so much as a bite of breakfast. I am done analyzing why the heck I am so disorganized in the morning, and just need some solutions. So, I called up a fantastic recipe developer, Jackie Alpers, and asked her if she had any ideas. She came back with something that made me want to hug her: three breakfasts that can be made in three minutes or less and — wait for it — all get cooked in a mug in the microwave. Jackie, I love you. Also, one word of advice: all microwaves cook differently, so we recommend checking every 30 seconds or so to ensure your food has not overcooked.
Related: You’ll Never Guess What We Taste-Tested — & Loved
Now, with your breakfast mug in hand, go seize the day!
ALL PHOTOGRAPHED BY JACKIE ALPERS.
3-Minute Mug Migas
1 oz tortilla chips (about 9 chips)
¼ cup of your favorite salsa (I used green tomatillo salsa), plus more for serving
1 tbsp Greek yogurt
3 tbsp Mexican shredded cheese blend
½ avocado, chopped, for serving
1. Whisk together the eggs, salsa, and Greek yogurt.
2. Crush the chips into the egg mixture, then fold in the cheese.
3. Pour into a large mug and microwave for 2 to 3 minutes, until the eggs are set.
4. Top with avocado and a spoonful of salsa and enjoy!
Apricot & Berry Mug Pancake
¼ cup complete pancake mix
Approximately ¼ cup of water
2 apricots, halved, with the pits removed
4-6 fresh berries
¼ cup pecan halves
Maple syrup for serving
1. Fill the bottom ¼ of a large mug with the pancake batter (the kind that only requires water).
2. Fill the mug with water until it’s half full. Whisk the mix and the water until smooth.
3. Fold half of the berries, apricots, and pecans into the batter.
4. Microwave on high for 2 minutes, then top with the remaining fruit and nuts.
5. Microwave for 30 to 60 seconds more, or until set. Serve with Maple syrup.
2-Minute Chocolate & Peanut Butter Quinoa Oatmeal
1 Trader Joe’s Frozen Oatmeal & Quinoa puck
1 tsp unsweetened ground cocoa powder (such as Ghirardelli’s)
1 tbsp peanut or almond butter (we love Peanut Butter & Co.’s “The Heat is On” spicy peanut butter for an extra kick!)
1 tsp mini chocolate chips
1 tbsp Greek yogurt
2 tbsp milk
2 tbsp chopped apples
Chopped peanuts or almonds for garnish (optional)
1. Put the frozen oatmeal and quinoa disk in a large mug and microwave for 2 minutes.
2. Stir in the ground cocoa and peanut or almond butter. Cook for one minute longer, then stir in the Greek yogurt, milk, and most of the chopped apples.
3. Garnish with mini chocolate chips, a few chopped apples, and chopped nuts. Enjoy!
Read This Next: We’ve All Been Suckered Into This Major Food Fraud