Quick, tell me about yourself in 150 characters or less (or approximately thirty words). That’s what Instagram asks of its users. But if you feel stumped, don't worry—we've got 250+ creative Instagram bio ideas!
Bios for Instagram are located under your name. There, you introduce yourself to strangers in one short paragraph. You're given literally seconds to make a first (and hopefully lasting) impression. It seems like an easy task, but with a little extra thought, you can actually make yourself stand out.
How to Write a Bio
Ask yourself what you want people to know about you after reading the bio. Do you want to appear funny, sarcastic, encouraging, smart or highly successful? Think big picture—what do you want someone to know about you and your online presence as they quickly glance at your bio?
Many users include the basics such as a description of themselves, their interests and location. From there, you can get creative!
And a quick tip for marketers—Instagram actually gives you two names. You have the Instagram handle and your profile name. Consider putting your company or brand name in the profile name spot.
Below, we take a look at a variety of bio options. We’ll note some Instagram bio quotes that are getting attention. We’ve scoured the Internet to make sure you have a bio for Instagram that communicates exactly what you want to say. Keep reading for some bio ideas for Instagram.
Consider the length
Some people use up every character IG gives them. If this is you, consider breaking up the text of your bio with symbols, emojis and line breaks. It makes a bio seem friendly and fun. There are also apps where you can use a different font for your bio.
With the right combo, bio short quotes can be just as effective. Here are some popular ones:
Instagram Bio Short Quotes
1. Be true to yourself.
2. Life can be tough—coffee helps.
3. Stop and smell the flowers.
4. I get it from my mama.
5. It’s a good day to have a good day.
6. Time is precious—waste it wisely.
7. Don’t be afraid to shine.
8. Creating a life I love.
9. Make every day magical.
10. Fabulous ends in “us.”
Promotional Bio Ideas for Instagram
A call to action is key if you’re promoting something. Leave the people who stop by wanting to know more about all you have to offer. Michael Hyatt’s page does a great job of highlighting his own success (NY Times Bestselling Author + Business Coach), and inviting you to learn what he knows by joining his next free training session. You can add links by going to “Edit Profile” and adding your URL website in the blank. Be sure to include these few things in your own bio.
Share your website if you have one.
Redirect to a social media page you use more frequently.
Share your business website (if you’re representing them).
Add any hashtags that are affiliated with your account.
Mention where they can buy your products or use your services.
Let people know where else they can find you on the web.
Use hashtags to link you to like-minded accounts
First, a note on hashtags. Search for ones that aren’t the most popular, but not unheard of either (the count is shown in the IG search engine when you type the hashtag), as you have a better chance at being noticed. Get creative in finding your audience using hashtags.
If you want to share about books, #booksofinstagram
For those aspiring chefs, #recipeoftheday
Share your favorite photos (an IG highlight), #photographyeveryday
Jump on the reels bandwagon, #reelvideos
Maybe fashion is your thing, #fashiongram
For the outdoor enthusiast, #getoutdoors
Keep up on workout trends, #workouttime
Stay updated on the news, #newsfeed
If you’re a creative, consider a unique hashtag for your book, artwork, etc., #velveteenrabbit
Contribute to funny Instagram, #dailyfunny
Instagram Bio Quotes
If you have a favorite celebrity, artist, or author, you might consider sharing a quote in your bio space, but be sure to include the source.
1. “Not all those who wander are lost.” -J.R.R. Tolkien
2. “If I’m honest I have to tell you I still read fairy-tales and I like them best of all.” -Audrey Hepburn
3. “Do the best you can until you know better. Then when you know better, do better.” -Maya Angelou
4. “I don’t want something special. I want something beautifully plain.” -Anne Lamott
5. “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.” -Oscar Wilde
6. “You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” -Mae West
7. “It always seems impossible until it’s done.” -Nelson Mandela
8. “A friend is someone who knows all about you and still loves you.” -Elbert Hubbard
9. “Friendship is born at that moment when one person says to another, ‘What? You too? I thought I was the only one!’” -C.S. Lewis
10. “At the end of the day, we can endure much more than we think we can.” -Frida Kahlo
General Info Ideas—Bio for Instagram
1. Include information about your family.
2. List your relationship status.
3. Do you volunteer at any organizations?
4. What’s a special talent you have?
5. List something you’ve done that’s totally unique.
6. Tell about your career.
7. Consider listing your job title.
8. List your interests.
9. Mention your pets.
10. Give one memorable fun fact about you.
Related: 300 Best Instagram Captions
Cool Instagram Bio Examples
1. Making history.
2. You can’t spell awesome without “me.”
3. Welcome to my world.
4. Me, being an Instagram influencer.
5. Here I stand, on my platform.
6. “It’s not about the car you drive. It’s about the size of your arm hanging out the window. -Dwayne Johnson
7. In a world of worriers, be the warrior.
8. Living for those times when life leaves me speechless.
9. The hardest thing I ever tried was being normal.
10. The best things come from living outside of your comfort zone.
Funny Instagram Bio Examples
1. I like hashtags because they look like waffles.
2. I don’t want to grown-up today.
3. How do you solve a problem like Maria?
4. Time is precious. Waste it wisely.
5. “I think I’ve discovered the secret of life - you just hang around until you get used to it.” -Charlie Brown, The Peanuts
6. Smile while you still have all your teeth.
7. Give me a second, I’ll think of something.
8. If like is not smiling at you, give it a good tickling.
9. I’m sorry, did I roll my eyes out loud?
10. I am standing outside. Therefore, I am outstanding.
Related: 100 Funny Instagram Captions
Creative Instagram Bio Ideas
1. Maybe I was born with it, maybe it’s an Instagram filter.
2. Be a little more you and a lot less them.
3. We were made to create.
4. Creating my own sunshine.
5. If I was a writer, I’d have a better Instagram bio.
6. The hardest thing I ever tried is being normal.
7. You'll find me with a camera in hand.
8. Whether you think you can or think you can’t - you’re right.” -Henry Ford
9. Creativity is the best problem solver.
10. If I cannot do great things, I can do small things in a great way.
Instagram Bios About Success
1. Believe and you will achieve.
2. Straighten your own crown.
3. “Genius is one percent inspiration, ninety-nine percent perspiration.” -Thomas Edison
4. Celebrate success.
5. Outwork your competition.
6. Self-confidence is a big part of any success.
7. Do it scared.
8. List your many accomplishments here.
10. I practice what I post.
Instagram Bio Ideas for Parents
1. Blessed beyond measure.
2. Sometimes I grocery shop alone.
3. List your kids’ ages
4. Describe your family (ie. Blended, boy mom, only child, pets are kids)
5. Relationship status (ie. Married, divorced, widowed, single)
6. Parenting is about more than DNA, it’s about love.
7. Family is everything.
8. Our family is just one tent away from a full-blown circus.
9. One day at a time.
10. Family is a gift for forever.
Instagram Bio Ideas for Women
1. “Women should take care of each other, not tear each other down.” -Jennifer Garner
2. Give some fun facts about your favorite girlfriends.
3. Share your passions.
4. What are your hobbies?
5. I’m perpetually waiting for the maid to show up.
6. Stronger than you know.
7. Share your education or career accomplishments.
8. Beach hair, don’t care.
9. Steer clear of the paparazzi.
10. Be the good you want to see in the world.
Instagram Bio Ideas for Men
1. I’m sorry for what I said when my team was playing.
2. Chillin’ behind my Ray-Bans.
3. This is how I look taking a selfie.
4. There’s always a wild side to an innocent face.
5. Never forget, the world is yours. Terms and conditions may apply.
6. A nomad in search of the perfect burger.
7. I need six months of vacation twice a year.
8. Grill’s on.
9. "The successful man will profit from his mistakes and try again in a different way.” -Dale Carnegie
10. Going fishing.
Punny Instagram Bios
Believe it or not, there are whole accounts dedicated almost exclusively to sharing puns. These examples are common:
1. Seas the day.
2. Don’t kale my vibe.
3. Having a gouda time.
4. Just bee yourself.
5. Let’s taco ‘bout it.
6. I’m very a-peel-ing.
7. My history course went well. I past.
8. Chill, it’s not that Sirius.
9. I’m heading to the dentist at tooth-thirty.
10. It’s nacho business.
Related: 100 Sassy Instagram Captions
Motivational Instagram Bios
1. Love the life you’re living.
2. One smile can turn around a bad day.
3. Making lemonade out of lemons.
4. I would rather die of passion than of boredom.
5. Let’s make today a great day.
6. Rain or shine, make your day a bright one.
7. As you wander, don’t forget the wonder.
8. “Today, I choose joy.” -Unknown
9. The best is yet to come.
10. “You is kind. You is smart. You is important.” -Kathryn Stockett, The Help
Fashion-Inspired Instagram Bio Ideas
1. “The best things in life are free. The second best things are very, very expensive.” -Coco Chanel
2. You’ll find me at the mall.
3. A wardrobe is never complete.
4. There’s a fine line between trendy and tacky.
5. Reveal your favorite stores.
6. Share your latest “great shopping find.”
7. Tell everyone when you find out about a sale.
8. Accessorize well.
9. “These boots are made for walking.” -Nancy Sinatra
10. On a budget (unfortunately).
Instagram Bio Ideas for Travelers
1. Give me an open road.
2. I haven’t been there… yet.
3. Where we going next?
4. Life is a journey.
Related: 50 Best Road Trips in the U.S.
5. I’d rather be camping.
6. Addicted to travel.
7. Road trip!
8. Collecting Frequent Flier Miles.
9. Planes, Trains & Automobiles.
10. On the go.
Related: Best Vacation Instagram Captions
Instagram Bio Ideas for Book-Lovers
1. I’d rather be reading.
2. One more chapter.
3. I need more bookshelves.
4. Quiet, I’m reading.
5. Books are my best friends.
6. Certified Bibliophile.
7. See you at the library.
8. I can’t resist a bookstore.
9. Ask me what I’m reading.
10. Always reading.
Instagram Bio Ideas for Pet-Lovers
1. Sorry I’m late. I saw a dog.
2. Can I bring my dog?
3. “Dogs never bite me. Just humans.” -Marilyn Monroe
4. “One cat just leads to another.” -Ernest Hemingway
5. Have a purr-fect day.
6. Crazy Cat Lady.
7. My cat is the cat’s meow.
8. Pets keep me company.
9. A pet always nose.
10. “Learn from yesterday, live for today, look to tomorrow, rest this afternoon.” -Snoopy, The Peanuts
Instagram Bio Ideas About Binge-Watching
Social media is a great place to learn more about your favorite shows, so consider including the one you’re addicted to in your bio, like including a "Now watching:" blurb. Here’s a list of binge-worthy shows on television right now (in no particular order):
1. Schitt’s Creek
4. Squid Game
6. Band of Brothers
8. The Office
Instagram Bio Ideas for Movie Fans
List a quote from your favorite cult-following movie, or just a movie that’s highly quotable. Your people will find you. Here are some well-known movies to inspire you:
1. The Breakfast Club
2. Blade Runner
3. Ferris Bueller’s Day Off
4. The Princess Bride
5. Pulp Fiction
6. The Big Lebowski
7. Field of Dreams
8. The Godfather
9. Forrest Gump
11. Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Popular Songs to Reference in Instagram Bios
No one should complain if your bio gets them singing a favorite tune; that is, until it gets stuck in their head all day. Here are some favorites most anyone will know:
1. "Sweet Caroline" (Neil Diamond)
2. "Take Me Home, Country Roads" (John Denver)
3. "Build Me Up Buttercup" (The Foundations)
4. "Dancing Queen" - Abba
5. "Don’t Stop Believin’" (Journey)
6. "Ring of Fire" (Johnny Cash)
7. "Hey Jude" (The Beatles)
8. "Livin’ on a Prayer" (Bon Jovi)
9. "I Will Survive" (Gloria Gaynor)
10. "Love Shack" (B-52s)
Sporty Instagram Bio Ideas
1. Currently watching SportsCenter.
2. Tell us, what sport did you play?
3. List your favorite college teams.
4. List your favorite pro teams.
5. “That’s one of the great things about Thanksgiving: Football’s on!” -Michael Strahan
6. Include your team's mascot.
7. Don’t talk to me if we lost last night.
8. Life begins again with spring training.
9. It’s what happens between the uprights that counts.
10. Two Words: March. Madness.
Seasonal Instagram Bio Quotes
Maybe you’re someone who likes to regularly change your bio, keep it fresh. Here’s a list of seasonal suggestions:
Fall Instagram Bio Ideas
1. It’s flannel season.
2. Football weekends are here.
3. Pumpkins spice and everything nice.
4. Back to school - buh bye.
5. My favorite color is October.
6. I couldn't decide whether or not to make spiced apple cider, so I mulled it over.
7. “I’m so glad I live a world where there are Octobers.” -Anne of Green Gables
8. I could get used to the crisp in the air.
9. Fall has its own rainbow.
10. The world could stand to have a few more days of Thanksgiving.
Winter Instagram Bio Ideas
1. Snow, snow, go away.
2. Why can’t I feel my face?
3. ’Tis the season for cocoa and a blanket.
4. “I will honor Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year.” -Charles Dickens
5. No two snowflakes are alike.
6. Oh, snow you didn’t!
7. Surviving from one snow day to the next.
8. Yes, uphill, in the snow, both ways.
9. “Jamaica, they got a bobsled team.” -Cool Runnings
10. Today, I’m a snow angel.
Related: 100 Best Christmas Quotes
Spring Instagram Bio Ideas
1. May your dreams spring up.
2. Wake up, flower.
3. Spring has sprung.
4. Winter, we’re through.
5. Daffodils, tulips and Crocus, oh my!
6. Smells like spring.
8. Is it baseball season yet?
9. Here’s to new beginnings.
10. What you water, grows.
Summer Instagram Bio Ideas
1. The boys of summer are back.
2. Break out the shorts and tank tops.
3. My swimsuit shrunk.
4. Ocean air; Salty hair.
5. School. Is. Out.
6. I’ll be on my porch.
7. “A life without love is like a year without summer.” -Swedish proverb
8. Let’s go for a boat ride.
9. Vacation is on.
10. I scream for ice cream.
Up Next: Best Instagram Captions for Selfies