Whether it’s your in-laws, boss or very best friend from elementary school, we all have at least one person in our life who throws around fancy words like “peaty” or “leggy” and has definitely tasted the most expensive bottle on the menu. Luckily, if you're seeking gifts for wine lovers, we have 18 recommendations of stellar, unusual bottles that’ll knock their socks off.
1. 2018 Aurelien Chatagnier Rhodaniennies Syrah, Rhone, France
If you’re looking to impress, you can’t go wrong with a medium-bodied red. This French syrah is slightly spicy on first sniff but opens up to a pretty, red fruit palate once you taste it.
2. 2013 Quady North Cabernet Franc, Oregon
For your dad who insists on a “big red” (his words), this robust cabernet will do the trick. He’ll scoff when you tell him to drink it chilled, but the balanced palate of raspberry, cassis and pepper will convince him you were right.
3. 2017 Jean Foillard Morgon Côte du Py, Morgon, France
This young French gamay is just *funky* enough to please your sister-in-law who insists she only drinks natural wine these days.
4. 2017 Ben Haines Roussanne, Victoria, Australia
For your one friend who beelines straight for the “natural wine” section of the menu, gift this practicing organic white. They’ll ooh and ahh at the notes of white flower, almond, apple and herbal tea.
5. 2018 Monier Perreol St. Joseph Blanc Marsanne, Rhone, France
This organic and biodynamic French white will please your mom, who just wants something “cold and oaky.”
6. 2018 Ruth Lewandowski Feints Co-Ferment, Mendocino, California
Trust us: It doesn’t matter who you give this gorgeous light red to; they’ll love you forever. Carbonic maceration keeps it fresh, light and unexpected. (Need more convincing? It’s our food editor’s favorite wine.)
7. 2017 Chateau Leoube Secret De Leoube Rosé, Provence, France
This provençal-style rosé is traditional yet mysterious, medium-bodied yet easy to drink. Give it to the wine lover who says they “aren’t really a rosé person.”
8. 2017 Simon Bize Savigny Les Beaune Blanc, Burgundy, France
You know that one aunt who only drinks Chardonnay and scares you a little? She’ll swoon over this elegant, citrusy bottle.
9. 2018 The Marigny by St. Reginald Parrish Pinot Noir Rosé, Willamette Valley, Oregon
St. Reginald Parrish’s Marigny wines are all about being unfussy, natural and high-quality, and this rosé is no exception. Basically, it’s ideal for your friend who documents every glass she drinks on Instagram.
10. 2017 Thorne & Daughters Rocking Horse, South Africa
Keep a bottle of this fragrant, medium-bodied white blend on hand for any last-minute gift. It’s balanced, drinkable and pairs well with roast chicken—yum.
11. 2014 Coelho Winery 'paciencia' Estate Pinot Noir, Oregon
This medium-bodied red is heavy on the fruit with a little bit of earthiness to balance everything out—the definition of crowd-pleasing.
12. 2017 Jauma Grenache ‘Genovese,’ Blewitt Springs, Australia
Fresh fruit flavors, lower alcohol and easy tannins? Yep, this natural Australian red is a real no-brainer. Buy it for pretty much anyone on your list.
13. 2017 Simon Bize Savigny Les Beaune Blanc Chardonnay, Burgundy, France
Everyone knows at least one person who poo-poos Chardonnay. Give them this surprisingly mineral-forward and citrusy bottle to change their mind. (Butter who?)
14. 2018 Giraud Chateauneuf Du Pape Blanc Les Gallimardes, Rhone, France
This floral, aromatic and, yes, kind of pricy organic white is just the thing to give that one person on your list who you’re really out to impress.
15. 2014 Molino Di Sant'antimo Brunello Di Montalcino, Tuscany, Italy
This bright, aromatic sangiovese is best served with a slight chill, to bring out the notes of strawberry and raspberry. It’s fruity enough to please a picky drinker, without being boring.
16. 2018 Patrick Sullivan ‘Haggis’ Red Blend, Victoria, Australia
They’ll laugh at the name and then thank you after the first sip, because this natural rosé is unlike anything else out there. It’s actually a blend of red and white grapes, all fermented with some skin contact and bottled unfiltered. Give this one to your most adventurous friend.
17. 2018 Jauma ‘Danby’ Grenache, South Australia
No one will believe this light, slightly fizzy red hails from South Australia. It’s tart, refreshing, reminiscent of fresh cranberries and pairs like a dream with food—basically, all we want to drink.
18. 2017 Simon Bize Savigny Les Beaune Rouge Pinot Noir, Burgundy, France
With notes of ripe cherry, plum and raspberry (and a hint of earthiness), this pinot noir from Burgundy is complex enough to impress even the toughest of your wine critic friends. Tell them it’s certified biodynamic and they’ll swoon.
PureWow may receive a portion of sales from products purchased from this article, which was created independently from PureWow's editorial and sales departments.