By Alexa O’Connell
It sucks when you get a sad, sad sandwich like a piece of turkey between whole wheat bread (thanks, Mom), but it doesn’t always have to be like that. These creative sandies show you that sandwiches can be epic and so much more than just boring lunch meat.
Mini Cheesecake Cookie Sandwiches
They’re just so cute… and tiny… and yummy looking. Get in my bellaaaay. Watch how here.
Prep Time: 13 minutes
Cook Time: 1 minute
Total Time: 14 minutes
½ cups butter
1/3 cups brown sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
8-oz. cream cheese
½ cups powdered sugar
Place the butter in a microwave safe bowl and heat for 30 seconds.
Add the brown sugar and vanilla extract and mix it all up.
In a separate bowl, mix the cream cheese and the powdered sugar together.
Combine and whip it real good.
Take the cheesecake mix and sandwich it between two Nilla wafers (any cookie kind will do).
Melt chocolate chips in the microwave for 30 seconds.
Dip and sprinkle.
The Ultimate French Onion Soup Grilled Cheese
Mini Bagel Breakfast Sliders
Breakfast always tastes better on a bagel. Go mini with these recipes.
French Toast Monte Cristo
This European sammie gets a million times better when you make it with French toast. Learn how here.
Fried Cheese Sandwich with Garlicky Herb and Lemon Mayo
Just because there is nothing better in this world than fried cheese. Get the recipe here.
The S’mores Panini
Substitute bread for graham crackers and you’ve got yourself a bomb dessert panini. For the full recipe with photos, click here.
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Cook Time: 5 minutes
Total Time: 10 minutes
2 slices honey & oat bread (kind of like a Graham cracker?)
2-3 tablespoons marshmallow Fluff spread
3-4 pieces of Hershey’s milk chocolate
1. Preheat your panini maker to just below medium heat.
2. Liberally slather that Fluff on both pieces of bread. Because all the greatest s’mores masterpieces are double-stuffed.
3. Break each piece of chocolate in half, then arrange them on one slice of bread.
4. Assemble your s’morewich and pop it in the panini press for around 5 minutes, or whenever the Fluff and chocolate start to melt. Don’t take it out too early that it isn’t hot; don’t wait for it to explode all over your panini maker (speaking from experience). This takes as much precision and expertise as getting that perfect golden-brown marshmallow around a fire.
5. Enjoy the final piece to the Homecoming puzzle that you didn’t even realize was missing until now. While you munch, share scary stories campfire-style with alumni and classmates (and by scary stories, I mean these, of course)!
Hash Brown Breakfast Sandwich
Who needs bread when you’ve got hash browns? NO ONE. Here’s how.
Pulled BBQ Chicken Sandwiches
A good ‘ol sloppy sammie stuffed with warm pulled pork and cold coleslaw. Yumm. Recipe here.
Chocolate Donut, Nutella and Coffee Ice Cream Sandwich
Satisfy every dessert craving with this bad boy. Get the recipe here.
Deconstructed Turkey Dinner
Now you can have your fave holiday meal smushed between two pieces of toasted bread all year round. Learn how to make it here.
Veggie Hummus English Muffin Panini
Every vegetarian dreams about this sandwich. Get the recipe here.
Lucky Charm Cookie Sandwich
The best childhood snack (Fluff) being held hostage by the best cereal ever (Lucky Charms). Here’s how.
Peanut Butter and Bacon Sandwich
Magic happens when peanut butter and bacon meet. Get the recipe here.
The Pizza Panini
Sandwich or pizza? Sandwich or pizza? Now you can have everything you ever wanted for lunch between two slices of bread. Here’s how.
Photos courtesy of eat-travel.com.tw, Isabelle Smith, Amanda Shulman, Sarah Adler, Jennifer Cao, Heather Harris, Tarika Narain, Alissa Rothman, Sarah Silbiger, Bernard Wen, Parisa Soraya, Jade Hsiao, Kirby Barth, and Christin Urso.
Spoon University is a food network for our generation, where all the content is produced by college students. They cover everything from simple recipes and local restaurants to dining hall hacks and healthy living tips.