Nov. 16 marked #ThxBirthControl Day 2016, a day spearheaded by birth control support network Bedsider to encourage people to shout their appreciation for birth control across the internet. To amplify the conversation, Cosmopolitan.com and Bedsider teamed up for a Twitter chat that covered everything from myths to favorite methods to what lawmakers should know about contraception. Read on for 19 #ThxBirthControl tweets from the chat and beyond, and revel in the power birth control gives us to live the lives we want.
1. It's your body, your choice.
2. It's your life, not your lawmakers'.
3. Birth control helps you plan.
#ThxBirthControl for giving us control over our bodies, our lives and our future.- ACLU National (@ACLU) November 16, 2016
4. There are many methods to choose from.
5. Long-acting contraception is worth celebrating.
6. Birth control regulates menstruation.
#ThxBirthControl for regulating my period. I'm a lesbian and don't need it to prevent pregnancy, but some of us have medical conditions.- Jen Hansen (@HansenJen_82) November 16, 2016
7. Birth control is a personal affair.
8. The vast majority of women have used it.
99% of women have used birth control in their lives. It needs to be accessible AND affordable. #ThxBirthControl- Senator Patty Murray (@PattyMurray) November 16, 2016
9. Birth control helps you focus.
10. You don't have to defend your birth control.
It is no one's damn business *why* you take birth control & justification is not necessary, ever. #ThxBirthControl- kelly jensen. (@veronikellymars) November 16, 2016
11. Sexy ≠ dad material.
Today I'm saying #thxbirthcontrol because thank heaven and modern science I have not had to parent with the kind of men I'm attracted to :)- Ashley A. Shew (@ashley_a_shew) November 16, 2016
12. Birth control has many different benefits.
13. Birth control means choices.
#ThxBirthControl Celibacy isn't realistic. A girl can have safe sex, continue her education, & plan her future around choices not mistakes.- Forklift Jones (@ForkliftJones) November 16, 2016
14. Sex is one priority among many.
#ThxBirthControl for allowing me to prioritize my education, career, and life while also gettin the d- Sara Schaefer (@saraschaefer1) November 16, 2016
15. Birth control saves money.
16. Not only women use birth control.
#ThxBirthControl for allowing people - including lots of folks who aren't women! - to dictate our own futures as we see fit.- Sam Escobar 👻 (@myhairisblue) November 16, 2016
17. Birth control means freedom.
Despite my love-hate relationship with birth control, I don't take for granted my freedom to choose what's right for me #ThxBirthControl- Emmeline Rodriguez (@Emmelinesays) November 16, 2016
18. Building a family is in your hands.
19. We won't go back.
Follow Hayley on Twitter.
You Might Also Like