Fall is all about cozy, stick-to-your-ribs meals that feel like a hug in a bowl (or on a plate), and it’s no secret that we love it. But we still want to nourish our bodies, and sometimes, keep things on the lighter side. These 18 healthy fall recipes under 500 calories will do the trick.
1. Portobello Mushrooms Stuffed with Barley Risotto (480 calories)
These stuffed ‘shrooms look fancy and taste decadent, but they’re actually so easy to whip up (not to mention super healthy, too).
2. Fall Harvest Quinoa Salad (450 calories)
We’re suckers for anything with squash…and halloumi. This dish happens to have both.
3. Butternut Squash and Red Lentil Soup (421 calories)
It’s worth seeking out red lentils for this recipe, since other colors would make the soup look muddy. They’re also quick-cooking, and who doesn’t want that?
4. Sweet Potato, Tomato, Kale and Halloumi Sheet Tray (130 calories)
When you don’t feel like cooking but still need to eat something nutritious, this gorgeous sheet tray has your back. Everything melts together in the oven while you sit back and relax.
5. Instant Pot Spicy Thai Butternut Squash Soup (447 calories)
Puréed soups are a go-to when we want to eat healthy and feel indulgent—they’re filling and creamy while still feeling light, just like this spicy number.
6. Vegan Keto Coconut Curry (425 calories)
You don’t have to be vegan or keto to enjoy this warming curry. It’s packed with scallion, coconut milk and cilantro for maximum flavor.
7. Creamy Vegan Lentil and Roasted Vegetable Bake (438 calories)
Caramelized roasted vegetables meet satisfying lentils and cashew cream in this rich casserole. To make it gluten-free, omit the topping and garnish with toasted pine nuts instead.
8. Spicy Stir-Fried Chicken and Shredded Brussels Bowls (300 calories)
Never had Brussels sprouts in a stir-fry before? You’re in for a treat.
9. White Turkey Chili with Avocado (344 calories)
Swapping ground turkey for the usual beef keeps things light and lean, while avocado adds creaminess. Oh, and it’s ready in an hour—that’s important.
10. Chicken Sausage, Spelt and Pepper Skillet (489 calories)
It’s as healthy as it is convenient, plus there are hardly any dishes to clean afterward. Weeknight plans, anyone?
11. Roasted Squash and Farro Salad with Avocado Dressing (432 calories)
In a room of boring grain bowls, be a farro salad with homemade avocado dressing.
12. Yotam Ottolenghi's Roasted Butternut Squash with Lentils and Gorgonzola (298 calories)
Lentils are a winner when it comes to healthy, satisfying meals. They’re packed with protein but won’t weigh you down, and go with everything from salad to soup.
13. Carrot Pasta (489 calories)
Gnocchi, but make it really good for you. (We’ll take seconds, please and thanks.)
14. Slow-Cooker French Onion Soup (338 calories)
Mmm, rich, caramelized onion broth and a cheesy crouton topping? We’ve found our favorite fall soup.
15. Vegan and Gluten-Free Curry Chickpea Potpie with Sweet Potato ‘Crust’
Trust us, you won’t even miss the flaky biscuit crust. (Thanks, Coterie member Monique Volz.)
16. Roasted Squash Salad with Crispy Shallots and Balsamic Reduction (311 calories)
Oh hi, one-ingredient dressing. We see you and we respect you.
17. Fall Harvest Honeycrisp Apple and Kale Salad (312 calories)
The season has so much to offer when it comes to fresh produce, so why not toss it all in one beautiful salad?
18. Buffalo-Stuffed Sweet Potatoes (455 calories)
These have Saturday football (and Sunday meal-prep) written all over them.