Easy Christmas riddles for kids and hard ones for adults, plus answers for all.
Christmas is creeping around the corner—can you smell the peppermint and pine? If you're like us, you love every single thing about the holidays. The beautiful decorations, wrapped presents and grand Christmas meals make the winter season a whole lot warmer.
But how can you keep the kids entertained during winter break? How will you entertain your guests at this year's Christmas party? If you've ever tried solving a Christmas riddle, there's no doubt you got away without a laugh—right? This year, entertain family and friends with a few silly brain teasers that are sure to keep everyone jolly and bright.
Christmastime can be stressful—from baking cookies, shopping for gifts and everything in between. We've pulled together our most clever Christmas riddles to add some cheer to any holiday shindig. Whether you're keeping the kids busy or looking to take a break from gift wrapping, solving a few of these mini-mysteries will give some comedic relief and keep the holiday spirit alive.
1. I come with many colors, very big and bright, I turn so many houses into a beautiful sight. What am I?
Answer: Christmas lights.
2. What do you get when you cross a bird with a turtle?
Answer: A turtle dove.
3. I’m a cookie you might like to eat, and some might say I’m a favored Christmas treat.
I have brown arms, eyes, and don’t forget my feet.
What am I?
Answer: A gingerbread man
4. I am a helpful creature– I'm not too big and not too small
Out of all my fellow reindeer, you could say I’m the fastest of them all.
Who am I?
5. I get chopped down, decorated all over, and I have wings on top. What am I?
Answer: A Christmas tree.
6. Santa was having problems with his legs and couldn't walk so he went to the hospital to ask the doctor if he could recommend something for him. What did the doctor give to Santa to help him to walk?
Answer: A candy cane.
Related: 50 Best Elf Jokes
7. What is red and white, red and white, and red and white again?
Answer: Santa Claus falling down a hill.
8. If the end of the year is December 31st, what is the end of Christmas?
Answer: The letter 's'.
9. Where do you find Santa's reindeer?
Answer: It depends on where you left them.
10. On Christmas Eve, Santa leaves his workshop in the North Pole to deliver presents to all the good children. What direction does he travel?
Answer: South. The only direction you can travel from the North Pole is South.
11. If otters keep their money in riverbanks, where does Frosty the Snowman keep his money?
Answer: He keeps his money in a snowbank.
12. When does Christmas come before Thanksgiving?
Answer: In the dictionary.
13. I'm a catchy carol and a tune that likes to rhyme, I contain 12 magnificent gifts that come around Christmas time. What am I?
Answer: The twelve days of Christmas song.
14. I could keep a giant's foot warm, and people look forward to finding me near the fireplace. What am I?
Answer: A Christmas stocking.
15. If a lion wrote a Christmas album, what would it be called?
Answer: Jungle Bells.
16. What's the only kind of egg you can drink?
17. What kind of laundry detergent does Santa Claus prefer?
Answer: Yule Tide.
18. Frosty The Snowman went to see the dermatologist because his head was itchy and dry. What does the snowman get when he itches his dandruff?
19. What do you call it after all the Christmas gifts have been opened?
20. What did the snow woman do to the snowman when she was upset with him?
Answer: She gave him the cold shoulder.
21. If you are related to Mr. and Mrs. Claus, what is your relation?
Answer: A relative clause.
22. Santa Claus rides in a sleigh– the 3 wise men traveled by elephant, horse and camel. What do the elves ride around in?
Answer: A minivan.
23. Who says, "Oh, Oh, Oh"?
Answer: Santa walking backwards.
24. What does the gingerbread man put on his bed instead of a blanket?
Answer: A cookie sheet.
25. Why can't a Christmas tree stand up?
Answer: It doesn't have legs.
26. What holiday songs do fish sing?
Answer: Christmas Corals
27. What did the bald man say when someone gave him a comb for Christmas?
Answer: Thanks, I'll never part with it.
28. Who delivers Christmas presents to dogs every year?
Answer: Santa Paws.
29. Why do mummies love Christmas?
Answer: Because of all the wrapping.
30. What to phrases are you most likely to see on a Christmas present tag?
Answer: To and From.
31. What did the little boy's mom say when he asked for a puppy for Christmas?
Answer: "No, you can have turkey like everyone else."
32. I am a plant seen every Christmas which people hang up above. When underneath it, they kiss someone they love. What am I?
33. I drop from the sky and I'm much more beautiful than rain. There are no two pieces of me that’ll ever look the same. What am I?
34. We traveled from the East, following a big, bright star, bringing gifts to the newborn King. Who were we?
Answer: The 3 wise men.
35. Santa Claus rides on it as he gives out gifts. To it, his nine helpers are hitched. What is it?
Answer: A sleigh.
36. I hide around the house, moving around each night. Santa sends me each year to see who’s naughty and nice. What am I?
Answer: Elf on The Shelf.
37. Who is always full and never hungry on Christmas?
Answer: A stuffed turkey.
38. What is the one food that will make you cry on Christmas?
39. You can hold me and even shake me, but I'm easy to break. I have lots of snow, but it's all fake! What am I?
Answer: A snow globe.
40. Rip this off quickly so I can no longer hide, your present gift that awaits inside. What am I?
Answer: Wrapping paper.
41. He is a man during the winter, but you might drink him during the summer. Who is he?
Answer: A snowman.
42. I am a colored strip that you can on your tree. Reflective and shiny is how you will always find me. What am I?
43. You can catch me easily, especially during the holidays, but you can never throw me. What am I?
Answer: A cold.
44. I stayed snug in a bassinet with animals while my mother sang me a lullaby. Who am I?
Answer: Baby Jesus.
45. I have two colors and taste so sweet you'll be 'hooked'! What am I?
Answer: A candy cane.
Related: 101 Elf on the Shelf Ideas
46. How do kids know when Santa is around?
Answer: They can sense his presents!
47. I'm a holiday plant that only blooms near Christmas. You might think I'm spiky by my name– yet I am not. What am I?
Answer: A Christmas Cactus.
48. What is something that travels around the globe like Santa Claus, yet never leaves its corner?
Answer: A postage stamp.
49. What do you call someone's fear of Santa Claus?
50. What is always right in front of you but you can't see it?
Answer: Next Christmas.
51. What always has needles but can never sew?
Answer: A Christmas tree.
52. What does Santa call his red-nosed reindeer when he gets a little sassy?
53. Why do Santa's reindeer always fly over the mountain?
Answer: They can't fly under it.
54. What do Santa's beard and a Christmas tree have in common?
Answer: they both need trimming.
55. You have no idea what I am, yet you wait for me every year. I rattle when you shake me, but you still don't know what's inside. What am I?
Answer: A present.
56. I'm grumpy and green and I stole all the presents in one night. But then my heart grew and I made everything right. Who am I?
Answer: The Grinch.
57. If you hear me at night, you better get to sleep because I'm attached to Santa's sleigh. What am I?
Answer: Jingle bells.
58. What do you call a vampire when he gets stuck in the snow?
59. What type of fruit do you eat at Christmas that isn't very healthy?
60. What is every parent's favorite Christmas carol?
Answer: Silent Night.
61. Which one of Santa's reindeer can you see from outer space?
62. What do you call a snowman in July?
Answer: A puddle.
63. This ring is made of leaves, flowers, fruits, twigs, and more. At wintertime, it hangs on your front door. What could it be?
Answer: A Christmas wreath.
64. What does a snowman eat for a snack?
Answer: Snow cones.
65. Which of Santa's reindeer will you find on Valentine's Day?
66. What tool does Santa use in his garden?
Answer: A Ho Ho Ho!
67. Why is Santa so good at karate?
Answer: Because he wears a black belt.
68. What did Mrs. Claus say to her husband when she looked up at the sky?
Answer: It looks like rain dear.
69. What do elves learn in the classroom?
Answer: The elf-abet
Related: 100 Christmas Quotes
70. What is a Spanish sheep's favorite Christmas tune?
Answer: Fleece Navidad.
71. What did Adam exclaim the day before Christmas?
Answer: It's Christmas, Eve!
72. What is Frosty The Snowman's favorite breakfast food?
Answer: Frosted Flakes.
73. What is it called when you put up decor in the entryways?
Answer: Deck the halls!
74. Known for having pointy ears and making Christmas toys. Which Santa then delivers to all the good girls and boys. Who are we?
Answer: Santa's elves.
75. Why does the alphabet get shorter at Christmas time?
Answer: Because it has no L (NOEL).
76. What do you call a kid who doesn't believe in Santa Claus?
Answer: A rebel without a Claus.
77. Why does Santa prefer to travel down the chimney on Christmas?
Answer: It soots him.
78. How does every Christmas Day end?
Answer: With the letter 'Y'.
79. What did the husband buy his wife for Christmas when she said "nothing would make me happier than a diamond necklace" ?
Answer: Nothing. Because it would make her happier than a diamond necklace.
80. How did Scrooge help win the football game?
Answer: The ghost of Christmas passed.
81. What do you call an Elf on The Shelf that just won the lottery?
82. Why does Lil Wayne love giving gifts?
Answer: He's a good wrapper.
83. What do you call a search engine that sings Christmas songs?
Answer: Michael Googlé.
84. Why did the snowman turn yellow?
Answer: Must've been the dog over there.
85. What do you call a gym-loving snowman with a six pack?
Answer: An abdominal snowman.
86. Why are all the elves so thirsty at the North Pole?
Answer: No well, no well.
87. Why was the snowman browsing through carrots?
Answer: He was picking his nose.
88. What's the best way for a snowman to lose weight?
Answer: Wait for the weather to get warmer.
89. What is a snowman's favorite thing to wear on his head?
Answer: An ice cap.
90. What do you get if you eat too many Christmas decorations?
91. What happened to the girl who stole the Advent calendar?
Answer: She got 25 days.
92. How do Christmas trees keep their breath fresh?
Answer: They eat orna-mints.
93. What do you get when you deep fry Santa Claus?
Answer: Crisp Cringle!
94. Why did the Little Drummer Boy ask the Christmas turkey to be in his band?
Answer: Because the turkey had drumsticks.
95. Why did Santa get a parking ticket on Christmas Eve?
Answer: He left his sleigh in the snow parking zone.
96. Where does Santa Claus hang up his suit after delivering Christmas presents?
Answer: In the claus-et.
97. Where do Santa and Mrs. Claus like to go for a swim?
Answer: The North Pool.
98. You buy me to eat, but you will never eat me– not even on Christmas. What am I?
99. Sweet as candy, double as fun. Named like a fruit, half the work is done. Found on Christmas, I am a treat for everyone. What am I?
Answer: A Sugar Plum.
100. A ballet of yore and a character alright. I'm performed and enjoyed on Christmas night. I was written in Russia and made in whole, and I have music that makes you hum along. What am I?
Answer: The Nutcracker.
101. What's the top of an egg called?
Answer: An eggnog.
102. What do you get when you mix a weapon with a foot?
Answer: A mistletoe.
103. What would be the perfect name for a musical woman?
104. Why does an ornery person sound like a goat on Christmas?
Answer: They both say "Bah (humbug)."
105. What do you call a deer without an umbrella?
Answer: A raindeer.
106. What's Santa's favorite candy?
Answer: Jolly Ranchers.
107. I'm not the most accessible entrance to a house, but I get used on Christmas Eve. What am I?
Answer: A chimney.
108. What was present in the biblical Christmas story and is also a common nickname?
109. What does Beyoncé do on Christmas?
Answer: She sleighs.
110. What are two different snacks, but also one Christmas decoration?