One thing about me is I absolutely hate making the first move on dating apps and will pretty much avoid doing it at all costs. That is, of course, until I got banned from both Tinder and Hinge and had to relocate the entirety of my dating life to Bumble—which, for the uninitiated, requires women to make the first move. This means that I now have a lot of experience (that I literally never asked for) hitting on guys on dating apps and coming up with clever pickup lines, resulting in a wealth of wisdom that I will now pass down to you, my friends.
Another thing about me: I’m typically very anti “pickup lines” in the traditional, cheesy, “Are you from Tennessee?”sense. In my opinion, a good dating app opener should avoid clichés, and pickup lines are pretty much inherently cliché—that’s kind of the whole point. If you want my actual advice, the key to making a successful first move on a dating app is to reference something specific from your match’s profile—ideally expressing a shared interest or asking them a question about it. This shows your match that you’re interested in them and their interests, and that you actually read their profile and aren’t just sending the same copy and pasted opener to every match.
But look, maybe you matched with a total dud whose Tinder bio just says like, “Hey, I’m Zach.” Why would you be interested in talking to this person? Honestly, IDK, maybe he’s really hot or something. Anyway, you’re tired of waiting for Boring Zach to message you first, you’re trying to bone (or get married or whatever), and it’s time to get this show on the road. Unfortunately, Boring Zach has given you literally nothing to work with. That’s where one of these Tinder pickup lines might come in handy.
Generally speaking, I’ve tried to keep the cringe to a minimum here. A lot of these are more just vaguely clever openers than they are traditionally punny pickup lines. Some of them are are cute and flirty, some of them are a little sassy, some of them are funny, and some of them are downright weird—because, personally, I love me a weirdo (and also, a weird opener is, if nothing else, a surefire way to stand out from everyone else on Tinder who’s just talking about tacos and TV shows.) And yes, I did slip in a few cheesy pickup line-pickup lines, because some of you are into that, I guess, and really who am I to judge?
But remember, specificity is key here. Wherever possible, it’s always a good idea to modify these openers to include some personal details about the match you’re trying to woo. That said, if you can’t think of anything, then feel free to just copy and paste this ish right into Tinder or Hinge or whatever dating apps you aren’t banned from, IDC.
1.Honestly I don’t usually make the first move, but you were hard to resist.
2. TBH I don’t have the energy to start a conversation right now but if you want to I can definitely maintain one.
3. Excuse my sincerity, but you’re seriously hot and I’m legitimately glad we matched.
4. I bet you a round of drinks you won’t ask me out first.
5. You’re welcome, I made the first move for you.
6. What’s the worst pickup line you’ve ever heard on here?
7. Insert pickup line that doesn’t suck.
8. I’m actually a rep from [insert name of app]. I was sent to make sure this is actually a legit account because you’re just too damn attractive to be real.
9. Well, well, well, if it isn’t my next mistake.
10. Was about to delete this app but am suddenly pretty glad I didn’t.
11. We could get off this app together. Or, you know, just chat back and forth indefinitely until one of us gets bored and stops responding. Either way!
12. Looks like this could be the beginning of a love story for the ages or another pointless dating app match that goes nowhere. Only one way to find out!
13. Are you my laptop? Because you’re really hot and I’m concerned.
14. I don’t have a clever opening line but you can pick one of these and just pretend I said that. (Then send them this article, duh.)
15. I’ve been told I come on strong so I’ll try to take it easy on you.
16. Was going to let you make the first move but I just couldn’t help myself.
17. So I guess we’re pretty much married now.
18. Not to be too forward or anything, but I have a wedding coming up next month and I already RSVP’d for you. You’re having the salmon.
19. Don’t fuck this up.
20. Hey, we matched. Who cares?
21. We get it, you have a dog. How original.
22. Beat you to the first message. Pretty sure that means you owe me a drink.
23. Sorry but I’m afraid I have a strict policy against dating people with prettier eyes than me.
24. So do the glasses stay on during sex?
25. Just saw you on Spotify. Congrats on being the hottest single.
26. Anyone ever tell you you look like [insert celebrity that they look like, ideally an attractive one]?
27. Anyone ever tell you you look like [insert celebrity/public figure they absolutely do not look like]? (It will confuse them, and they’ll have no choice but to respond. You’re welcome.)
28. Listen, I’m not big on making the first move, so if you’re interested, shoot your shot and we’ll both pretend you approached me.
29. Wanna wait out the apocalypse together?
30. Wasn’t expecting to match with [insert hot celebrity they look like] tonight!
31. Wow, and they say all the good guys are already taken?
32. I’ve heard of love at first sight, but I wasn’t prepared for love at first swipe.
33. Am I really supposed to believe someone as hot as you is still single?
34. I need you to help me settle a bet. My friend bet me $20 you wouldn’t ask me out, and TBH I really can’t afford to lose that cash rn.
35. Guess today’s your lucky day.
36. Let’s get off this app together, shall we?
37. Do you mind grabbing me a glass of water? Because I’m suddenly feeling real thirsty.
38. Holy shit you’re hot.
39. Guess we’re a match! Now’s your chance to not fuck it up!
40. Calling it now, you’re about to be obsessed with me.
41. Pretty sure we could either have a long and loving relationship or totally fuck up each other’s lives and TBH I’m down to find out. You?
42. As Taylor Swift might say, “Oh my god, look at that face. You look like my next mistake.”
43. Wow I didn’t know there were any hot people left on this app.
44. I’m only messaging you first because my soul literally cannot take receiving another “heyy” on this app and I needed to get ahead of it.
45. Okay TBH I think you’re really cute and I am literally begging you not to disappoint me with a boring opener. Do your best!
46. Ever get that feeling that you just swiped right on your soulmate?
47. Well, the Tinder gods have decided we’re a match. How do you think we should play this?
48. TBH I think hot people are boring. Prove me wrong?
49. I can see our NYT wedding announcement now: “Hottest Couple to Ever Meet on a Dating App Ties the Knot.”
50. To be honest with you I copied this pickup line from a Cosmo article.
You Might Also Like