The pale American lager known as Natural Light—or Natty Light, as the kids call it—probably ain’t winning any taste awards in the near future. Just in case you had lingering doubts about that, watch this BuzzFeed video of Californian sommelier Whitney Adams sampling Natty Light and six other cheap beers. (Spoiler: She’s not a Natty Light fan.)
Adams took a few sips of each brew, offered her tasting notes, and awarded each beer a score of one to five; five indicated the best-tasting, and one, the worst-tasting.
Here’s the lineup, and how a few of them fared:
- Pabst Blue Ribbon. “It just dies after I swallow it.” 2 out of 5 stars.
- Rainier. "An overwhelming aromatic note of, like, sweat." 3 stars.
- Narragansett. “Skunky.” 2 stars.
- Shiner Bock. “Smells like darkness… kind of smells like wet cardboard.” 3.5 stars.
- Natural Light. “It looks like mountain dew.” 1.5 stars.
- Schlitz. “Very refreshing… I like this beer.” 4 stars.
- Steel Reserve. "Ooh, I like that … like peach and cedar." 5 stars.
For what it’s worth, there is a time and a place for everything. For instance, a quick in-house survey of editors reveals a penchant for ice-cold PBR (just the thing for a sweltering summer’s night when the A/C is broken), icy National Bohemian, Utica Club, and Lone Star.
Hey, to each her own!