Tue Jul 07 2015 02:35:02 GMT+0000 (UTC) on pprd3-node64-lh3.manhattan.bf1.yahoo.com
Cranberry Sauce for Sophisticates
- 1 cup port (or red wine or Madeira)
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon juniper berries
- 10 black peppercorns
- 1 12-ounce bag fresh cranberries (about 4 cups — frozen can be substituted)
- Put the port, sugar, juniper berries, and peppercorns into a heavy saucepan and bring to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Add the cranberries and return to a boil. Reduce the heat to low and simmer until the cranberries burst and are very soft, about 10 minutes more.
- Strain the sauce into a bowl through a fine-mesh sieve, pushing the solids through the screen with a rubber spatula. Stir the thin and thick portions of the strained gelée together.
- Transfer to a pretty serving bowl. (A funnel or liquid measuring cup with a spout can be useful for transferring without splashing the sides.)
- Cover and refrigerate. It will firm up within a few hours, or can be made several days ahead.