The Coolest No-Bake Desserts
It’s almost that time of year when turning on the oven becomes unimaginable, but that doesn’t mean you can’t whip up incredible desserts. From a decadent layering of chocolate, buttercream, and graham-crust to a parfait with fresh fruit, here are 7 sweet and summery desserts, no baking required.
See more: Summery, No-Bake Desserts »
A chocolate-, almond-, and coconut-enriched graham crust supports a dense layer of buttercream topped with a slick of semisweet chocolate.
20 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
5 tbsp. Dutch-process cocoa powder
¼ cup sugar
1 ¼ cups graham cracker crumbs
1 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
½ cup ground almonds
2 cups confectioners’ sugar
3 tbsp. heavy cream
2 tbsp. powdered milk
2 tsp. vanilla extract
8 oz. bittersweet chocolate
1. Heat 8 tbsp. butter, cocoa, and sugar in a 2-qt. saucepan over medium heat until melted and smooth; stir in crumbs, coconut, almonds, and egg. Transfer to a parchment paper—lined 8”x 8” baking pan and press evenly into bottom; set aside.
2. Beat 8 tbsp. butter, confectioners’ sugar, cream, powdered milk, and vanilla in a bowl on medium speed of a hand mixer until smooth and fluffy; spread over chocolate layer.
3. Melt remaining butter and chocolate in a 2-qt. saucepan over medium-low heat; spread over vanilla layer. Chill until set, at least 4 hours. Cut into squares to serve.
This recipe, originally from Local Ocean Seafoods in Newport, Oregon, uses homemade shortbread cookies. Store-bought cookies can be substituted for a simpler, no-bake version.
1 lb. strawberries, hulled and sliced
1¼ cups sugar
2½ tbsp. fresh lemon juice, plus 1 tbsp. zest
2 tbsp. vanilla extract
2½ cups flour
½ tsp. kosher salt
16 tbsp. unsalted butter, softened
3 egg yolks
1½ cups blueberries
1 small mango, peeled and chopped
2 cups heavy cream
1. Stir ½ cup strawberries, ¼ cup sugar, ½ tbsp. lemon juice, and 1 tsp. vanilla in a bowl and cover with plastic wrap; chill at least 6 hours or up to overnight.
2. Heat oven to 425°. Whisk flour and salt in a bowl; set aside. Using an electric hand mixer, beat ¾ cup sugar and remaining lemon juice, plus the zest, 1 tsp. vanilla, and the butter in a bowl until fluffy. Add yolks one at a time, beating well after each addition, and, with the motor running, slowly add flour mixture until dough forms. Divide dough into 6 balls and flatten into ¾″ disks; transfer to a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Bake until golden and slightly firm, 20–25 minutes; let cool completely.
3. Purée reserved strawberry mixture with ½ cup blueberries and half the mango in a blender into a smooth sauce. Whip remaining sugar, vanilla, and the cream in a bowl until stiff peaks form. Spoon ½ cup whipped cream into 6 bowls; crumble ½ cookie over each. Top with half of the remaining berries and mango, and drizzle with some of the fruit sauce. Repeat with remaining cream, cookies, fruit, and sauce.