'The Crown' star blasts 'evil' media treatment of Prince Harry and Meghan Markle

  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
Amy Johnson
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
  • Oops!
    Something went wrong.
    Please try again later.
Olivia Colman has defended the royal couple. (Photo: John Phillips/Getty Images)
Olivia Colman has defended the royal couple. (Photo: John Phillips/Getty Images)

The Crown star Olivia Colman has condemned the treatment of Meghan Markle and Prince Harry by the press.

The Oscar winner has described it as “evil” and added that she couldn't comprehend why the couple has received so much criticism.

"It's just evil," the 45-year-old actress told U.K. radio station LBC. "They're mean to them. Everything they do, they step outside their house and it's something.

"I don't know why they're so mean to a fellow human being. It always strikes me as odd."

Her comments come ahead of the launch of the third season of The Crown, in which she's taken on the role of Queen Elizabeth II.

Colman says the press is "mean" to Meghan Markle and Prince Harry. (Photo: Dominic Lipinski/Pool via AP, File)
Colman says the press is "mean" to Meghan Markle and Prince Harry. (Photo: Dominic Lipinski/Pool via AP, File)

In last month’s ABC News special Harry and Meghan: An African Journey, the duchess addressed the "unfair" media attacks she's faced.

"When people are saying things that are just untrue and they're being told they're untrue but they're allowed to still say them, I don't know anybody in the world that would feel like that's OK, and that's different than just scrutiny.

"That's — what would you call that? That's a different beast. That's really just a different beast," she said.

The duke and duchess have launched legal action against the Mail on Sunday, claiming the newspaper misused a private family letter sent to Meghan by her estranged father, Thomas Markle.

The couple, pictured with son Archie and Archbishop Desmond Tutu, have taken legal action against U.K. tabloids. (Photo: Henk Kruger/African News Agency via AP, Pool)
The couple, pictured with son Archie and Archbishop Desmond Tutu, have taken legal action against U.K. tabloids. (Photo: Henk Kruger/African News Agency via AP, Pool)

Prince Harry is also suing the publishers of The Mirror and The Sun over allegations his phone was hacked.

He wrote in an online statement in October: "Unfortunately, my wife has become one of the latest victims of a British tabloid press that wages campaigns against individuals with no thought to the consequences — a ruthless campaign that has escalated over the past year, throughout her pregnancy and while raising our newborn son.

"This particular legal action hinges on one incident in a long and disturbing pattern of behavior by British tabloid media.

"The contents of a private letter were published unlawfully in an intentionally destructive manner to manipulate you, the reader, and further the divisive agenda of the media group in question."

Read more from Yahoo Entertainment:

Want daily pop culture news delivered to your inbox? Sign up here for Yahoo Entertainment & Lifestyle’s newsletter.