Modified from The Secret Squirrel
- ⅓ cup flax seeds and flax meal (about half and half)
- ½ cup water
- 1/4 cup hemp hearts
- 2 tbsp pepitas
- 1 tbsp white sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp black sesame seeds
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- 3 tbsp zaatar spice
- ¼ tsp salt
1. Mix flax seeds and flax meal with water and let sit for 1 hour (the seeds will release a sticky gooey substance which will act as the binder for the crackers).
2. Preheat oven at 250 degrees.
3. After an hour, add the chopped pepitas and the hemp hearts to the sticky flax seed mixture.
4. Mix in the rest of the ingredients
5. Line baking tray with baking paper. Spread the mixture onto the tray with a spatula. Press firmly until thin and flat.
6. Using a knife, score into small squares (this will make it easier to break apart later).
7. Bake in the over for approximately 40 minutes to an hour. Check after about 40 minutes, and flip the crackers. Bake until crackers are dry and crisp.
8. Let cool and then break into pieces.
9. Enjoy with hummus and veggies!
Lily Kunin is the voice behind the NYC-based food blog Clean Food Dirty City. Inspired by the chefs in her family as well as her friends who are looking for easy recipes, her mission is to create food that is simple, clean, and flavorful. Follow her blog on Instagram @cleanfooddirtycity.