Who knew Hailee Steinfeld was such a glamour girl? The young actress is no stranger to the red carpet, having landed her breakthrough role in 2010’s True Grit when she was just 13. Fast forward six years later and Steinfeld is turning heads off-screen with her runway-inspired beauty looks. Just take a gander at this plum shimmer eye she sported at a photo call for her latest film, The Edge of Seventeen. It’s fresh, playful, and a look that anyone can wear no matter their age.
In the video above, New York City-based makeup artist Jen Navaro uses a combination of rich purple, glistening lavender, and matte mauve to copy Steinfeld’s shimmering smoky eye. Watch closely for all of Navaro’s layering and blending techniques and read below for more pro tips and tricks.
- Curl lashes with an eyelash curler for lift and to open up the eye area.
- Use Urban Decay Eyeshadow Primer Potion as a base on lids to give shadow long-lasting hold.
- Swipe Charlotte Tilbury Colour Chameleon Eye Shadow Pencil in Intoxicating Violet on top of lids and along lower lash line. Use your fingers to smudge.
- With a small shadow brush, apply the black with red pearl shade from the NARS 413 BLKR Eyeshadow Duo to lids. Smoke out the outer corners and bring that same hue to the lower lash line.
- Apply a mauve shadow from the Tom Ford Eye Quad in Orchid Haze as a transition shade, fading evenly into the bro bone and underneath lashes. Using the same palette, apply the lavender shimmer shade on top for extra sparkle.
- Brush a highlighter shade to the brow bone. Pro tip: this helps to also blend transition shade so that its seamless.
- Line the upper and lower lash line with Urban Decay 24/7 Glide-On Eye Pencil in Perversion. This will deepen the overall makeup look.
- Coat top and bottom lashes with Urban Decay Perversion Mascara. Add a second coat for more volume and depth.
- Brush on NYX Liquid Suede Cream Lipstick in Nude and blot color. Then apply the lightest hue from the MAC Trend Forecast Fall ’16 Lip in the center of mouth.
- Remove shine with of NARS Translucent Light Reflecting Loose Powder.
- Contour cheeks using Honest Beauty Luminizing Face Powder Makeup.
- Finish look by dusting on translucent powder.