Chilled Carrot Soup with Dill Crema
- 1 tbsp coconut oil (or olive oil)
- 1 small onion, diced
- 2 lbs carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 cups low sodium vegetable stock
- 1 tsp turmeric
- Garlic salt and pepper to taste
- Generous handful of dill, chopped
- 1 cup cashews, soaked
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Generous handle of dill (about ½ cup), chopped
- 2 garlic cloves
- ½ cup water
1. Soak cashews for a few hours or overnight. Drain and then blend with the ingredients for the dill crema (preferably in a high speed blender). Add water until you achieve desired consistency. Store in the fridge until ready to use.
2. Heat a large soup pot over medium heat. Add coconut oil. Add the onion and saute until soft, about 10 minutes.
2. Add turmeric and saute for a minute. Add carrots and mix well.
3. Add stock and simmer for 20 – 30 minutes until carrots are soft. Season with garlic salt and pepper to taste.
4. Turn off heat and let cool slightly. Using an immersion blender, puree soup. Let cool completely and stir in chopped dill. Serve with a generous dollop of dill crema.
Lily Kunin is the voice behind the NYC-based food blog Clean Food Dirty City. Inspired by the chefs in her family as well as her friends who are looking for easy recipes, her mission is to create food that is simple, clean, and flavorful. Follow her blog on Instagram @cleanfooddirtycity.