Hillary Clinton's suggestion during the first presidential debate that GOP candidate Donald Trump doesn't pay taxes may have been more accurate than some had anticipated.??
Trump, who has so far refused to release his tax returns during the presidential campaign, could have avoided taxes for nearly 18 years, according to tax records obtained by??The New York Times.??
Trump reportedly declared a $916 million loss on his 1995 tax returns, which could have led to him legally not paying federal income taxes for a period of almost two decades.??
The records reveal the tax benefits that Trump received from failed projects in the 1990s, including Atlantic City casinos, the Plaza Hotel and an airline endeavor.
Twitter users reacted to the news online, sparking several hashtags, one of which was trending on Saturday night: #LastTimeTrumpPaidTaxes.
Whoever leaked the tax returns really respected the idea of the October surprise #TrumpTaxReturns #trumptaxes
- David Kazzie (@DavidKazzie) October 2, 2016
You have to be one terrible businessman to lose $915,729,293 running A CASINO. #TrumpTaxes #NeverTrump
- Jason Febery (@JasonFebery) October 2, 2016
#LastTimeTrumpPaidTaxes Dems were doing this, as they likely are again tonight. Man, how I love an October surprise. pic.twitter.com/HNvo4TBASP
- Cassie Dagostino (@casatino) October 2, 2016
There are people voting in this election born the same year as the #LastTimeTrumpPaidTaxes
- Sarah Kendzior (@sarahkendzior) October 2, 2016
#LastTimeTrumpPaidTaxes Dawson was still rowing down the creek.
- Ashley C. Ford (@iSmashFizzle) October 2, 2016
#LastTimeTrumpPaidTaxes Backstreet hadn't come back, alright.
- Akilah Hughes (@AkilahObviously) October 2, 2016
#LastTimeTrumpPaidTaxes cell phones looked like this pic.twitter.com/0bD9Zc2Fcr
- Marlow Stern (@MarlowNYC) October 2, 2016
#LastTimeTrumpPaidTaxes he filed on this mac pic.twitter.com/nHWFQ6QqIb
- David (@MMASOCCERFAN) October 2, 2016
#LastTimeTrumpPaidTaxes Mr. Rogers still lived in the neighborhood
- G O L D I E. (@goldietaylor) October 2, 2016
#LastTimeTrumpPaidTaxes Blockbuster was encouraging its patrons to be kind and rewind.
- Veronica Dodson (@vinthenw) October 2, 2016
#LastTimeTrumpPaidTaxes MTV was still playing music videos
- Chinchillary (@feistybunnygirl) October 2, 2016
#LastTimeTrumpPaidTaxes Captain America was just Steve Rogers pic.twitter.com/B7ufbumW0j
- GeekRican (@Red_Mattos) October 2, 2016