Nigella Lawson's Husband Filing for Divorce After Public Row
UPDATE: (July 8, 2013) Nearly one month after allegedly assaulting Nigella Lawson during a romantic meal gone wrong, Charles Saatchi has filed divorce papers to end his ten-year union with the celebrity chef. In a statement to London's Daily Mail, Saatchi cited the fact that Lawson failed to defend him following the very public fight in early June.
"I am disappointed that she was advised to make no public comment to explain that I abhor violence of any kind against women, and have never abused her physically in any way," he explained. In other words, it's her fault.
Saatchi admits this decision wasn't easy, however. "This is heartbreaking for both of us as our love was very deep, but in the last year we have become estranged and drifted apart," he reveals.
"The row photographed at Scott’s restaurant could equally have been Nigella grasping my neck to hold my attention – as indeed she has done in the past." Umm. We're not too sure what to make of that last accusation, but we're pretty certain one thing is true: This marriage is over.
UPDATE: (June 18, 2013) Charles Saatchi has admitted to assaulting his wife, Nigella Lawson, and accepted a police caution late Monday.
"Officers from the Community Safety Unit at Westminster were aware of the Sunday People article which was published on 16 June and carried out an investigation," read a statement from Scotland Yard. "This afternoon a 70-year-old man voluntarily attended a Central London police station and accepted a caution for assault."
A picture's worth a thousand words, and recent photos of celebrity chef Nigella Lawson and her husband, Charles Saatchi, tell a shocking tale.
The startling images that surfaced over the weekend show Lawson being assaulted by her husband, an advertising mogul turned art dealer, at an upscale London eatery — reportedly at their favorite table during a meal to celebrate his 70th birthday.
In one shot, the brunette beauty looks stunned as a man (who appears to be Saatchi) wraps his hands tightly around her throat. Another shows the man pinching her nose while she squints her eyes tight shut in pain.
Fellow diners described the incident as "shocking" and "horrific," explaining to The Mirror that the host of ABC's "The Taste" "was tearful and was constantly dabbing her eyes" before finally fleeing the restaurant in full-blown tears.
On Sunday, both Saatchi and Lawson were snapped leaving their home separately, but Lawson wasn't alone. She was with her son, who carried a large suitcase as the two got in a taxi and pulled away. While her daughter was not pictured, Lawson's rep has confirmed, "She has left the family home with her children."
Though Scotland Yard reports that no formal complaints against Saatchi have been filed, a spokesman conceded, "Inquiries are in hand to establish the facts in order to assess whether an investigation is necessary."
Not so fast, said Saatchi in a statement. In his Evening Standard Column, Saatchi claimed the row at the restaurant was nothing more than "a playful tiff," and that he and Nigella had already "made up" by the time they had gotten home.
In his version, they were arguing about their children (which are technically Nigella's from a previous marriage) when the incident occurred. "I held Nigella's neck repeatedly while attempting to emphasize my point," he explained.
For the life of us, we can't imagine what that "point" might be, but Saatchi didn't stop there.
"Nigella's tears were because we both hate arguing, not because she had been hurt."
So then why did she flee their home with bags and her children? He has an explanation for that too.
"The paparazzi were congregated outside our house after the story broke yesterday morning, so I told Nigella to take the kids off till the dust settled."
In other words, she's just doing what he says, because everything is completely fine between them. Saatchi might have made his millions selling things for clients, but right now we're not so sure we're buying his version of events.
Yahoo! TV has reached out to reps for the couple for further confirmation.A video or other embedded content has been hidden. Click here to view it.
(Originally published on June 17, 2013, at 8:25 a.m. PT)