Grey's Anatomy Recap: "Transplant Wasteland"
Grey's Anatomy | Photo Credits: Ron Tom/ABC
Welcome to the new Seattle Grace Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital.
For the second time in Grey's Anatomy history, Seattle Grace has changed its named. Lest we forget, the name was first changed to Seattle Grace-Mercy West after the merger a few years ago. But now it has a more fitting name — the Grey Sloan Memorial Hospital — a fitting tribute that continues Shonda Rhimes' track record of making us cry practically every episode. After all, it was Lexie Grey and Mark Sloan who lost their lives in the plane crash. And while others will live with debilitating and/or emotional scars from the crash, they're at least alive. Now, Little Grey and Sloan's memory will live on with the hospital.
But it was a really rocky road to get to that point. Let's check out the top five moments — besides the touching memorial to Grey and Sloan — from Thursday's episode:
1. Owen's a tough guy: After the Harper Avery Foundation decided that the hospital needed some new leadership, Owen's job was on the line. But instead of waiting for the final decision, Owen decided just to quit his job, a decision that was sparked by Derek's insinuation that the mess the hospital is in is all Owen's fault.
2. The blame game: Speaking of blame, this hour also featured a lot of blame being thrown around, which reflected thoughts that the audience has had for quite a while. It started when the group disagreed with Jackson's initial assessment of getting rid of Owen and not re-opening the ER. "No one asked you to sue the hospital into bankruptcy," Jackson said, to which Meredith retorted, "For the plane crash that killed Lexie?" Burn.
3. Jackson's in over his head: After Owen quits, Jackson attempts to keep the hospital afloat, which is made more difficult with a chaotic OR board and old Pegasus protocols in place — like flying an organ back to Seattle unaccompanied even though Meredith and Jo went to pick it up. But after hearing Webber's lack of confidence in him, Jackson finally steps up and gets the hospital running smoothly, starting by sorting out the transplant confusion that gets Cristina in with her abdominal transplant over Alex's kidney patient — hence the name of the episode.
4. Alex's back in the gang: Meredith finally apologizes to Alex on behalf of the group, explaining that he was left out of everything because they were trying to do what's best and buy the hospital. In turn, Alex stops being a jerk to Jo, planting a seed that could be the next step towards them being a relationship after he interrupts her date with Chesty McNoName.
5. Shepherd owns up: Derek goes up to the trailer to convince Owen to come back to the hospital, telling him that no one blames him. They know he never would've signed that paper if he knew it would end up with a tragic plane crash. Derek admits he's more pissed at the world and pissed at Mark than anything. They both have things to let go.
Grey's Anatomy airs Thursdays at 9/8c on ABC.