Another BBC Host Faces Underage Sex Allegations
Jimmy Savile may not have been the only host at the BBC allegedly coercing young girls into sex.
Stuart Hall, the TV and radio personality best known for his program "It's a Knockout," was charged with three counts of indecent assault by British police on Wednesday and is on suspension.
"In light of the very serious nature of these charges, Stuart Hall will not be working at the BBC while the police continue with their inquiries," a BBC spokesman said in a statement.
Hall, 82, however, was not charged with rape, Reuters reported.
"The offences are alleged to have been committed between 1974 and 1984 and to involve three girls aged between 9 and 16 years," police said in a statement.
The arrest of Hall is not related to the ongoing investigation into the allegations regarding Savile, the late BBC satirist who allegedly coerced scores of teenage girls into sex multiple times, including at the BBC's studios.
The scandal surrounding Savile has been disastrous for the BBC.
Director-General George Entwistle resigned last month amid allegations that the broadcaster shelved an investigation into Savile's misdeeds by its current affairs show "Newsnight." A string of lower-level resignations followed.
And the controversy has reached overseas. Mark Thompson, the newly minted CEO of the New York Times Company, has faced intense scrutiny as he assumed power at the newspaper with reporters questioning his knowledge of the Savile business.
Thompson served as the director-general of the BBC when the "Newsnight" investigation was quashed.