The new “Star Wars,” that J.J. Abrams is directing from London’s Pinewood Studios, will be set 30 years after 1983′s “Return of the Jedi” and will feature new and familiar faces.
“Girls” actor Adam Driver is in talks to play the villain in the new film. Others battling for lead roles include “Downton Abbey” thesp Ed Speleers, “Attack the Block” star John Boyega, “Breaking Bad” and “Friday Night Light’s” Jesse Plemons and theater actors Matthew James Thomas and Ray Fisher.
The news was announced on Star Wars’ Twitter account.
“Rumor has it that almost every actor in the world has been cast in this movie, but so far, the official cast member that we’ve confirmed, the only one, is R2D2. Played by R2D2,” said Disney chief Bob Iger at the company’s shareholders meeting in Portland, Ore., on Tuesday.
During the early part of the two hour meeting he said, “I know many of you were hoping for some ‘Star Wars’ news, but it’s really early in the process, so there really isn’t much that I can share with you right now.”
However, Iger did note that “the team is well into preproduction … and from the concept art that I’ve seen so far, ‘Star Wars: Episode VII’ really looks amazing,” before adding, “For now, that’s it. I’ll get in trouble if I say more.”
“Star Wars: Episode VII” will be released Dec. 18, 2015.