Logo TV’s gay bachelor, Robert Sepúlveda Jr., is threatening to sue people he calls online “bullies” for “shaming and targeted harassment,” following revelations that he once worked as a male prostitute.
In a scathing Instagram post on Tuesday, the star of Logo’s first ever same-sex dating show, “Finding Prince Charming,” says he will “prosecute” offenders to the “fullest extent of the law.”
“Targeted harassment, shaming and bullying is wrong and against the law,” Sepúlveda wrote. “It doesn’t matter the age! Listen closely folks, if you come for me, we will come for you and prosecute you to the fullest extent of the law. BULLYING IS WRONG!”
Sepúlveda went on to add: “In the beautiful words of Martin Luther King: ‘Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that.’ and on that note…. come for me – you’ll be hearing from my attorneys.”
Sepúlveda’s lawyer did not respond to TheWrap’s request for comment. But criminal defense attorney Mark McBride told TheWrap that Sepulveda has no case.
“He has to show the accusations are factually untrue and that he’s not a public figure, which he certainly is,” McBride said. “Whoever is advising him on the law should get a law degree.”
While some states do have anti-bullying laws that have an electronic harassment provision, those are usually aimed at preventing cyberbullying in schools, Elizabeth Jaffe, an associate professor at Atlanta’s John Marshall Law School, told TheWrap.
“It’s unclear who he intends to sue,” Jaffe said. “But I think it would be difficult for him to make that case. If people are saying ugly things about him, it doesn’t necessarily rise to the level of cyberbullying.”
Sepúlveda has said he was a sex worker in college, telling the Huffington Post, “the past is the past.”
But that hasn’t prevented a backlash. “To call him ‘Prince Charming’ is a little reckless,” AIDS activist Tyler Curry told TheWrap. Gay news site Queerty said its commenters were going “ballistic” about Sepúlveda’s casting, with some calling him “a disgrace to the community.”
Logo has said it was blindsided by the disclosure. But multiple contestants told TheWrap that show producers and network executives knew of Sepúlveda’s past.
Logo TV did not immediately respond to TheWrap’s request for comment regarding Sepúlveda’s Instagram post.
But in statement last week, Logo told said: “We are aware of Robert’s past and fully support him as he moves forward in his search for love on ‘Finding Prince Charming.'”
A person close to the situation told TheWrap the network followed “standard protocol” when vetting Sepúlveda and that “nothing came up during the background check.”
Related stories from TheWrap: