In a week that has seen outrage after the U.K.'s biggest TV show, The Great British Bake Off, switched channels from the BBC to Channel 4, ITV has confirmed it is hanging on to two of its most popular formats.
A new deal unveiled Friday ensures that the TV giant will air Simon Cowell's Britain's Got Talent and The X Factor until at least 2019, extending a long-running partnership for a further three years.
"Britain's Got Talent and The X Factor are both big, brilliant, wonderful shows, and I am delighted that they will continue to take up their place as an important part of our schedule for the next three years," said ITV's director of television, Kevin Lygo. "They are defining shows for us, ones that we are very proud to have as part of our entertainment slate, and they continue year after year, for months at a time, to be amongst the most popular and hugely entertaining formats on television."
Financial terms weren't disclosed.
In the previous three-year deal, the partners added a new clause that required Cowell to appear on at least one of the shows, and that clause is understood to also be a part of the new agreement.
Said Cowell: "I want to thank ITV for continuing to be fantastic partners. I'm delighted for the shows and, in particular, for all the talented people who work on them with us."
And Richard Holloway, managing director of Thames and interim CEO of FremantleMedia UK, said: "I'm delighted that we are continuing our successful relationship with ITV for a further three years. We are immensely proud of Britain's Got Talent and The X Factor, and we look forward to entertaining viewers for years to come."
X Factor is in its 13th season in Britain. It has drawn a top consolidated audience so far this season of 10 million viewers, marking its highest audience since 2014.
Britain's Got Talent had its 10th season this year. It is ITV's most watched entertainment show, averaging 9.9 million viewers in consolidated ratings.