Katy Perry roared onto the MTV Video Music Awards red carpet in a thigh exposing leopard-print dress. The singer looked absolutely gorgeous and to compliment her roar-tastic style she rocked a super high ponytail. "I wanted to show off Katy's face and expose the high collar on the dress," reveals the singer's hairstylist Jen Atkin, from the Clear/Wall group.
Jen worked double duty with Katy and created both her red carpet and performance looks. "[For the red carpet], I wanted to show a fresh, clean yet glam look," states Jen.
Get the look:
1. It's important to start with a solid foundation for any style, and that starts when you wash your hair. A shampoo and conditioner combo that helps you tame frizz and fight fly-aways is helpful.
2. After washing, add a dime-sized amount of hair and blow dry straight for a sleek style.
3. Brush hair back into a high ponytail using a mixed bristle brush, and secure with a strong elastic band. I recommend bungee bands for a tight hold.
For Katy's performance, Jen was inspired by the singer's fighting spirit. "Inspired by her lyrics, Katy performed as a fighter, so I immediately knew I wanted to give her braids in the vein of Million Dollar Baby. I wanted her to look feminine, but with a tough edge," adds Jen.
Get the look:
1. Part hair and separate it down the middle.
2. French braid from the forehead, down on both sides, and secure with small rubbers bands.
3. A great trick for this look is to add a little pomade to your hands before you start braiding to help tame the braids along the way- something that has great hold and a matte finish, so it won't leave your hair looking greasy.
-- Terri MacLeod
(Glam Slam's Ryan Patterson is on maternity leave. Terri MacLeod is filling in.)
Copyright 2013 by NBC Universal, Inc. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.