POPsessions: Why Seth Green Tears Up at 'E.T.'
A show-biz veteran since the age of 10, Seth Green is the man of all media these days, working as creator and star of the cult favorite animated show "Robot Chicken," as well as starring in the Fox sitcom "Dads," which airs Tuesdays at 8 p.m.
We spoke with the actor during a moment of quiet on the "Dads" set so he could share his own cultural influences, answering our POPsessions questionnaire.
1. What was the first movie you saw? There was a movie theater in our neighborhood where they showed the movie "Hot Lead and Cold Feet." I remember seeing that and thinking, "Wow, movies are awesome."
2. What movie makes you cry? I'm kinda a softie in that way. I'm emotionally accessible as an actor, so I'll tear up if the commercial is good. But I bawled my eyes out when I saw "E.T." for the first time, and my parents didn't understand. They said, "But he went home. He was saved!"
3. What do you eat or drink while watching a movie in the theater? I love popcorn. I eat a lot of popcorn. In my later years, I've been trying to drink water instead of soda, but if I go to a place and they've got a good frozen icy thing, I might get that.
4. What's the TV show you never miss? I'm watching "Homeland" a lot.
5. What TV show would you like to live in? "Sesame Street."
6. Who is your TV crush? I have a lot of TV crushes. I loved Ginger on "Gilligan's Island." Old-school. I loved Lisa Bonet on "Different World" and "The Cosby Show" first. I saw her grow up.
7. What TV theme song do you still remember the words to? My sister and I both know every song from every show all throughout the '80s, so sometimes when we want to feel close, we'll just quiz each other on whatever. We usually start with "Silver Spoons," find our way to "Family Ties." Before you know it, it's "Growing Pains" or "Punky Brewster." They all had really elaborate songs. "Perfect Strangers" is one of my all-time favorite theme songs. Right up there with "Greatest American Hero."
8. What's the guiltiest pleasure currently on your DVR? I don't really watch anything that makes me feel guilty or that I'm embarrassed to talk about.
9. What is your karaoke song? Usually it's either a Jay Z song, or a Nelly song, or, if I can find the right partner, it's "Islands in the Stream."