POPsessions: Jeff Lewis's Assistant Jenni Pulos Flips Out Over MJ, SpongeBob, 'The Bachelor,' and Her Pug
Jenni Pulos — the goofy, indefatigably positive underling of über-demanding interior designer/house flipper/control freak Jeff Lewis on Bravo's "Flipping Out" — knows that "failure can be a great friend." But she learned that lesson the hard way when her marriage fell apart on national TV, her bestie boss accused her of unethical mixing of business and pleasure, and her dream career in show business never truly took off.
She hopes to save a few folks from following in her footsteps and offer a few pointers on navigating negativity the Pulos way with her new memoir-advice book, "Grin and Bear It: How to Be Happy No Matter What Reality Throws Your Way," which will be published by St. Martin's Press on March 11.
"It took me a long time to realize how lucky I was that things were so difficult for me. It was at that moment I knew I was highly qualified to write a book, a how-not-to book," she told Yahoo TV exclusively, adding that she is most proud of the chapter on pregnancy, becoming a mom at 40, and the arrival of her daughter, Alianna, in 2013. "Her birth proved to me there is no expiration date on miracles."
Despite becoming both a mom and an author within the last year, Pulos has no plans to leave "Flipping Out." In fact, she worked up until the day her water broke on germaphobe Lewis's hardwood kitchen floor at Gramercy. The journey is thoroughly covered in Season 7, which premieres this week. In honor of a lady and a series with personality to spare, Pulos answered our POPsessions questionnaire.
1. What was the first movie you saw? "Rocky."
2. What movie do you absolutely always stop and watch if you see it on cable? "Tootsie."
3. What movie makes you cry? "Project X."
4. Who is your TV crush now, and who was it when you were younger? SpongeBob Squarepants and Tom Bergeron. When I was young, I only had eyes for John Ritter as Jack Tripper.
[Related: 12 Jack Tripper GIFs]
5. What movie or TV character would you hate to be trapped in an elevator with? Jeff Lewis.
6. If you were kidnapped, what movie/TV character would you call to save you? Jack Bauer from "24."
7. What's the guiltiest pleasure currently on your DVR? "The Bachelor."
8. What was your first concert? Michael Jackson, but he canceled due to throat issues; I even bought a sequin glove!