10 Things We Know So Far About the 'Doctor Who' 50th Anniversary Special
Matt Smith, David Tennant, and John Hurt in "The Day of the Doctor" poster art
BBC America has released a set of first look photos from the upcoming "Doctor Who" 50th-anniversary special, and while the pics serve as a reminder of just how much Whovians are looking forward to the big event, they don't provide many clues to what will happen in the special.
But the gathering of multiple Whos in one episode is certainly cause for celebration, so here are 10 fun things we know for sure about the special:
1. The 75-minute episode is called "The Day of the Doctor," and it will air worldwide on Nov. 23. The simulcast — in which the special will air in 75 countries — was planned by BBC so that "Doctor Who" fans don't have to worry about the storylines being spoiled by viewers in other parts of the world. In the United States, the special will air on BBC America.
2. The special will feature two Doctor Whos, possibly three: the current doctor, Matt Smith; his predecessor, David Tennant; and John Hurt, who may or may not be some version of the doctor.
Matt Smith, David Tennant, and John Hurt
3. BBC America has confirmed that both Smith and Tennant are playing Doctor Who in the special, but Hurt — whose character was introduced to viewers in the Season 7 finale last May — might be a past version of Who, a future version of Who, an alt version of Who, a version who bridges two other versions, or not a Who at all.
4. "The Day of the Doctor" will be the penultimate appearance by Smith as the doctor. He bows out of the series in the annual Christmas special, as Scottish actor Peter Capaldi takes over and becomes the 12th Who.
5. One of the photos released by BBC America shows Smith hanging from the bottom of the TARDIS over Trafalgar Square, while in others, Tennant and Hurt are both seen, separately, at the TARDIS controls. Little else is known about the plot of the special.
6. "The Day of the Doctor" will also include the doctor's current companion, Clara Oswald, played by Jenna Coleman...