Emmy season is as much about the red carpet as it is about the awards. In fact, sometimes the stars' styles get more buzz than the winners' lists. In true Emmy fashion (no pun intended!), celebrity stylist Anita Patrickson recently ranked the top five red carpet looks from last year's Primetime Emmy Awards and dished on what trends she expects to see this year.
While last year was a literal rainbow on the red carpet, what's the prediction for this year? Patrickson said she expects to see some lace, a lot of graphic black and white, and an appearance by the current "sheer" trend. As for color, purple is this fall's "it" color, so don't be surprised to see a sampling of amethyst or deep-burgundy gowns.
The celeb stylist's must-see stars for this Emmy season? Michelle Dockery ("Downton Abbey"), who's known for bringing an "elegant, vintage feel" to her looks; "Scandal" star Kerry Washington; and "Game of Thrones" star Emilia Clarke also made Patrickson's wish list.
"I can't wait to see what she has up her sleeve," Patrickson said of Clarke. (Neither can we, but it will probably be sleeveless!)
As for last year's most fashionable Emmy-ready celebs, Patrickson has five favorites:
5. Last year, Heidi Klum's Alexander Vauthier chiffon sensation got plenty of attention. Patrickson said the "Project Runway" star rocked out her "amazing, skin-showing, sexy" sea foam green gown by pairing it with matching green shoes and accessories. (The Emerald City never looked so good — that's for sure!)
4. "Homeland" star Claire Danes was praised for her Lanvin Grecian dress that had her aglow in a gorgeous shade of yellow. Patrickson called the choice "very bold" and said that the accessories and the gold pieces on the Emmy winner's arm embodied "the whole flowy, Grecian really sexy look."
3. Patrickson noted that Nicole Kidman is no stranger to the best-dressed list, and we can see why. Last year the "Hemingway & Gellhorn" star shined — literally — in a heavily embellished Antonio Berardi gown: "She really set herself aside from the pack, wearing graphics and really cool metallics," Patrickson said, giving the Aussie actress a big thumbs-up for her stunning ensemble. (We think hubby Keith Urban at her side wasn't a bad accessory, either.)
2. So you think you can dress? Cat Deeley sure can. The reality TV host got major props for her scarlet one-shouldered Andrew Gn gown: "I love that she went for a graphic clutch," Patrickson said. "It really broke it up, and the black and white is a great addition to her look."
1. And let's just say, Claire Dunphy really cleans up well. "Modern Family" star Julie Bowen took the top spot on Patrickson's list: "She wowed us in that incredible chartreuse gown by Monique Lhuillier," the starstruck stylist gushed. "The structure of the gown, the really simple straps on top and then that amazing fabric at the bottom, was so gorgeous. The accessories were perfect, the clutch was absolutely stunning, and her hair and makeup flawless."
The 65th Primetime Emmy Awards will air live from the Nokia Theatre LA Live on Sunday, Sept. 22 at 8 p.m. on CBS.