Boston Police Take Second Marathon Bombing Suspect Into Custody: "The Terror Is Over"

Kate Stanhope
TV Guide
Cambridge, Watertown Massive Police Response | Photo Credits: Jared Wickerham/Getty Images

Just hours after Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick lifted the city-wide lockdown on Boston,  the second suspect in the Boston Marathon bombings was found and taken into custody.

In a tweet sent out shortly before 9 p.m. local time, the Boston Police department confirmed that the suspect,  19-year-old Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, had been apprehended. "CAPTURED!!! The hunt is over. The search is done. The terror is over. And justice has won. Suspect in custody," the Boston Police department wrote. "We got him," added Boston Mayor Tom Menino.

Boston lockdown lifted but citizens urged to stay vigilant

Tsarnaev was found hiding underneath tarp in a boat in Watertown, Mass. — the same town that authorities had been searching throughout the day Friday after a deadly shootout broke out in the early hours. That shootout led to the death of Tsarnaev's older brother and suspected accomplice, Tamerlan Tsarnaev. Dzhokhar Tsarnaev fled on foot after the shootout, which led to the massive lockdown in Boston on Friday.

After Tsarnaev's capture, he was put in an ambulance heading to Mount Auburn Hospital following the evening standoff, according to ABC's Boston affiliate. It is unclear what injuries he sustained or how severe his injuries were.

One Boston bombing suspect dead; second suspect at large

Tsarnaev was discovered by a neighbor who noticed a rip in the tarp on his boat. He lifted the tarp and saw blood, at which time the resident called 911, and authorities were dispatched to the scene, CBS News reports. When the police looked underneath the tarp, a shot came from the boat and more shots were subsequently fired. The FBI soon took over and eventually pulled the suspect out of the boat.

In addition to taking Tsarnaev into custody, officials took three people into custody in New Bedford, Mass. as part of the Boston Marathon bombings investigation, according to The Boston Globe.