Barry Diller: "Total Bullshit" That MGM Can't Release 'Apprentice' Tapes

The Hollywood Reporter

Barry Diller doesn't believe MGM's claim that it can't release unaired footage of Donald Trump from The Apprentice and the IAC chairman voiced his doubt in a recent interview.

"I think it's total bullshit," Diller told Politico's Playbook.

Earlier this week, MGM said "various contractual and legal requirements ... restrict MGM's ability to release [Apprentice] material." MGM owns the tapes via its acquisition of Mark Burnett Productions. The Access Hollywood footage of Trump making lewd comments has caused increased interest in the Apprentice tapes, which some say may contain worse comments from the Republican presidential candidate.

As a producer on seasons 1 & 2 of #theapprentice I assure you: when it comes to the #trumptapes there are far worse. #justthebegininng

- Bill Pruitt (@billpruitt) October 8, 2016

"There are no legal obligations," continued Diller, who is a prominent Hillary Clinton supporter. "To who? For what? I mean, the legal obligations are they own the copyright. They can do whatever they want with it."

The former Fox and Paramount CEO also weighed in on whether the media attention on Trump led to his rise.

"People who say it's the media's fault, it's not the media's fault. That's craziness," said Diller. "And it's not fault to say that what are people in the media interested in, they are interested in people being interested in what they are talking, writing or doing. That's, of course, what anybody is interested in who is a disseminator of information."

Read more: Donald Trump, 'Access Hollywood' and 'The Apprentice': The Legal Issues Behind the Tapes