Try These Simple Tips to Maximize Your Vacation Happiness
We all know that vacations make us happier, but how much happier they make us depends on a few factors. With the goal of maximizing everyone’s happiness, the new website Happify compiled the infographic below. We have to say, it is inspiring some pretty cheerful vibes.
According to research, 90% of people say the happiest vacations are planned more than a month in advance.
Planning ahead reduces stress and increases the opportunity to anticipate the getaway, according to Shawn Achor, author of The Happiness Advantage.
Related: Dreamy Hotels Worth a Detour
The most important things you can do in advance to make your trip stress-free include the following:
- Try to familiarize yourself with the location.
- Have at least a rough itinerary.
- Figure out how you’ll get around.
Know exactly what you want to do before you go. (Photo: Thinkstock)
Vacationers get a bigger happiness boost in the weeks before their trip than in the weeks after. (Unfortunately, getting back to the daily grind causes a quick fade-out of post-vacation joy).
To savor the anticipation:
- Research the fun sites you’ll visit.
- Create a playlist for your holiday.
- Chat about the trip with a friend.
- Watch movies about where you’re going.
- Read a novel that takes place in your destination.
We tend to get a boost from looking forward to a holiday, and the length of our vacation doesn’t affect our happiness levels, so aim for several short vacations throughout the year over one long vacation.