Apple rival Samsung is doing pretty with its new smartphone lineup this year after the debacle with the Galaxy Note 7 last year, the company said in a statement to Venture Beat.
The Galaxy S8 and S8+ devices had a successful preorder campaign, beating the S7 by 30 percent, Samsung said.
“We are delighted to see the response to the Galaxy S8 and S8+,” Samsung Electronics America President Tim Baxter said. “The Galaxy S8 and S8+ are a result of that recommitment and the market has responded — with a more than 30 percent year-over-year growth in preorders versus the record preorders we had with Galaxy S7, making it our best ever. The response is humbling, energizing and points to a great launch week. We aim to push the boundaries of what’s possible in the name of a better, smarter, more exciting experience for our consumers.”
International Business Times reached out to Samsung for comment.
The statement comes after the company recently forecast its best quarterly profit in more than three years for the January-March period, pulling Samsung up after it struggled last year with the global recall of the fire-prone Note 7. Issues with the Galaxy Note 7 cost the company $5.3 billion in operating profit, the company has said previously.
The Galaxy S8 and S8+ come with artificial intelligence assistant Bixby, a fingerprint scanner and facial recognition technology. Both devices, which were officially released Friday, come with a 5.8-inch or 6.2-inch dual-edge curved infinity display screen.