Solange and her wedding party. @beyonce
Solange Knowles wed Alan Ferguson in New Orleans over the weekend. The couple stayed true to their laid-back style by bucking traditional wedding practices, especially in the fashion department. Ever the trend-setter, here are the six ways that Beyonce’s little sis made the nuptials all her own (and you can too).
1. Modern Modesty: While many brides will soon opt for Amal’s all-encompassing circle train or tend to follow Kate Middleton’s modest long-sleeve wedding dress style, Solange’s high-fashion flourish was a cape. For her formal wedding portraits, the bride wore a high-neck, floor-length custom gown by Humberto Leon for Kenzo with a matching cape that gave the whole look a very regal vibe.
2. The Bride Wore…a Jumpsuit: For her actual ceremony, Solange wore a low-cut cream-colored jumpsuit by Stephane Rolland. “She has always had a very independent style, and brought her chic fashion sense to her wedding,” says celebrity wedding planner Mindy Weiss. “This look helps her establish her own style, away from her sister’s.” Similar to the dress for her portraits, her wedding-day jumpsuit included a cape that fell off her shoulders and split in the middle to reveal her back.
Solange in a cream-colored jumpsuit with Alan Ferguson. Getty Images
3. An All-White Wedding: Following in her friend Kelly Rowland’s footsteps, Solange and her groom asked their guests to wear all white to the wedding. “That everyone did it and made the effort to wear white, helps bring everyone together,” says Weiss.
4. Allowing Bridesmaids to Pick Their Own Dress: Solange, like many brides today, allowed her bridesmaids to choose a white dress that reflected their own style. (Even Janelle Monae eschewed her usual tuxedo look for a feminine frock!) “When bridesmaids are allowed to pick their own dress they are more comfortable because it’s a style that they feel comfortable in, and they feel good in it,” Weiss adds.
Alan Ferguson, Solange’s son Daniel, and Jay Z. @beyonce
5. The Vanity Fair-style Bridal Portrait: Solange’s official wedding photo– where everyone is either sitting or standing in a very staged manner—is following the trend of more editorial looking portraits, but takes it one step further. “I think that this style photo stays true to Solange’s fashion-forward style, and adds another layer of personalization to her wedding,” photographer Kevin Weinstein tells Yahoo Style. Adds Weiss, “Jessica Simpson did a styled shoot with her bridesmaids that was inspired by a Vanity Fair spread too.”
6. Arriving by Bike: For several years couples having been making their getaway on bikes, but arriving together is definitely something new. While we may not know the symbolism of the white bikes the bride and groom arrived on, Weiss tells Yahoo Style that the bicycles added a touch of whimsy to the day. “It’s not stiff, it’s unexpected and whimsical with a little humor. It’s very romantic of them to ride together, and I think they look really cool.”
Solange in custom Huberto Leon for Kenzo dress and cape with Alan Ferguson in Lanvin. @beyonce