These dainty confections, iced pale purple, are fit for a modern-day queen. The hue of the topping hints at its soothing floral flavor and aroma, achieved by steeping dried lavender in milk.
Related: 14 New, Lighter Comfort Food Ideas
3/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
10 1/2 tablespoons unsalted butter
3 1/2 ounces unsweetened chocolate, finely chopped
1 1/3 cups sugar
2 large eggs
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 standard 12-cup muffin tins with paper liners. Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt.
2. Put butter and chocolate into a heatproof bowl set over a pan of simmering water; stir until smooth. Remove from heat, and let cool slightly.
3. With an electric mixer on medium speed, beat chocolate and sugar for 3 minutes. Add eggs, one at a time, and beat until combined. Beat in vanilla. Reduce speed to low. Add flour mixture; beat until just combined.
4. Divide batter evenly among muffin cups. Bake until set and a cake tester inserted into centers comes out clean, about 18 minutes. Transfer to wire racks; let cool completely.
5. Spoon icing over cupcakes, covering tops completely. Let set, about 1 hour. Decorate with sugared flowers. Cupcakes can be stored in single layers in airtight containers for up to 2 days.
More from Martha Stewart:
Quick, One-Pot Meal Ideas To Feed the Whole Family
Pucker Up: 25 Ways to Get Sweet on Rhubarb
22 Chicken Dinner Recipes in Less Than 30 Minutes
19 Easy Barbecue Recipes to Make This Season
Watch for More: