Since the late 1800s, small farms across America have used windmills mainly to pump water from wells for cattle. The grandfather of today’s windmills was the Aeromotor. Founded in 1888 in Chicago, the Aeromotor Windmill Company only sold 24 windmills its first year, but by 1892 its sales topped 20,000, changing the rural landscape forever.
Rich Henderson photographed this windmill, and its attendant scarecrow, at Dawes Arboretum, in Newark, Ohio. The fuzzy golden grass in the foreground is called Timothy Grass. Brought to the U.S. from Europe in the mid-18th century to feed cattle, it is still in common use, particularly as hay for horses.