If you're not a morning person, waking up is a pure struggle that consists of the snooze button and a strong cup of coffee. For most of us, this daily routine gets us out the door, but it doesn't necessarily make us any more excited to start the day.
An easy way to change this somber outlook, however, is by altering your actions. Because why shouldn't you wake up in a good mood? We rounded up several ways to help you get that #MotivationMonday going every day.
1. Eat breakfast: A good breakfast fuels the soul but rarely do we indulge in big breakfasts for the sake of time (and sleep). However, carving out even just 15 minutes to eat a healthy breakfast can make you instantly feel more awake and energetic. Everyone knows a happy stomach equals a happier you.
2. Stretch your muscles as soon as you wake up: This gets the blood flowing throughout your body and you can even do the stretches under your covers. Once those endorphins are released, you'll feel less stressed and view your day with a more positive attitude.
3. Don't watch TV: If you're easily upset over bad news, skip the morning programs. You can always record the show to watch later at night.
4. Play music: Whip up a feel-good playlist of all your favorite songs and press play as soon as you wake up to go about your daily routine.
5. Prepare for the next morning the night before: When you're rushing to find your keys, wallet, cell phone, and work notes before you head to work, it will make you feel flustered and agitated. If you take 10 minutes to prepare everything the night before, however, you'll wake up with fewer worries.
6. Play with your pet: An instant mood booster? Your furry best friend!
7. Clean your room at night: Waking up to a clean room is one of the best feelings in the world and you don't have to worry about checking that off your to-do list.
8. Add some fresh flowers to your nightstand: Scientific studies have shown flowers will make a person happier, so keep some pretty arrangements where you can see them first thing in the morning.
9. Don't hit snooze: Whatever you do, do not hit your snooze button! Science explains why, but basically you'll wake up feeling groggier and more tired than if you had just woken up.
10. Keep the curtains or shades half closed: Come Fall and Winter, any sunlight you can get during the day is a plus. It's a no-brainer that we feel our moods change with the weather and soaking up some rays is the easiest way to make you feel happier.
11. Go to bed an hour early: You probably won't fall asleep right away, but letting your body know it's time to wind down for the night will make you feel much more well-rested come morning. You might even find yourself waking up earlier and feeling more productive (like having time to eat breakfast)!
12. Skip social media: We're all guilty of reaching for our phones first thing in the morning to check emails, Facebook, or Instagram, but not grabbing your phone in the mornings can be a cathartic experience. FOMO no more.
13. Wake up next to your significant other: While your SO might make you want to stay in bed forever and skip work altogether, waking up to your loved one is guaranteed to put a smile on your face.
14. Sleep on your back: Research shows this is the best sleeping position, so if you find yourself tossing and turning at night, try this position for an optimal good night's rest.
15. Wake up 30 minutes earlier: Despite what you may think, the benefits of waking up earlier will have a huge effect on how the rest of your day goes.
16. Take a shower: There's nothing a good shower can't fix, especially with your favorite bath scents and oils.
17. Wear sunglasses before you leave the house: The sun makes you squint or frown, which can foster aggressive feelings and bring down your mood. So, wear your shades!
18. Drink coffee: Coffee plus sun equals instant feel-good vibes, so drink near a window or walk on the sunnier side of the street. Don't forget to wear sunglasses.
21. Don't eat dinner right before bed: You'll avoid that bloated feeling that keeps you up all night and get better sleep. More sleep equals happier you.
22. Set your alarm to a fun tune: Change up your alarm tone because life's a lot better if you're waking up to a song by Beyoncé.
23. Treat yourself every so often: Don't be afraid to go for it with a sugary treat or drink some mornings! You'll wake with something to look forward to.