New Vineyard man dead after house fire Thursday

Megan Gray, Portland Press Herald, Maine
·2 min read

Mar. 6—One person died Thursday in a fire at a New Vineyard home, the fourth fatal fire in Maine in less than two weeks.

Firefighters responded to the blaze at 113 Hight St. at 11:30 p.m. Thursday, according to the State Fire Marshal's Office. Investigators were at the scene Friday and found the remains of an adult believed to be homeowner Christopher Keirstead. They did not provide any further information about the fire.

Keirstead, 50, was last seen in Farmington around 4 p.m. Thursday, according to a news release. Investigators want to speak with anyone who saw or had contact with him after that time. They asked anyone with information about the fire or Keirstead to contact investigator Jeremy Damren at 207-624-7076 ext. 9.

Recent fire victims include two children.

A blaze in Lincoln on Feb. 22 killed 7-year-old Adele Parent. Three adults in the house were unable to reach her because of intense heat and smoke from the fire fueled by kerosene from a plastic container that failed, and investigators have said the fire started in an area where electrical work had recently been done. Neighbors and local businesses have started a fundraising drive to help the Parent family.

Theodore Hedstrom, 14, died just days later on Feb. 25 in a Camden house fire. Two adults were in the house, and one was critically injured trying to reach the boy. The fire marshal's office said the fire was likely accidental and it also started near an electrical panel that had recently been worked on during the installation of a clothes dryer. The house was destroyed, and a GoFundMe page set up to help with the cost of rebuilding had raised more than $110,000 as of Saturday afternoon.

William "Bill" Vincent, 75, and his wife, Tomasa, 72 Farmington died from injuries sustained in a fire at their home Feb. 27. Investigators believe that the fire was accidental and was the result of combustible material being placed next to the wood stove. William Vincent did not survive the fire. His 72-year-old wife managed to escape but later succumbed to her injuries.