The man accused of running over a Muslim family with his truck, killing four of them, in London, Canada, is now facing terrorism charges, authorities said Monday, per CBC News.
Driving the news: Investigators say the suspect, 20-year-old Nathaniel Veltman, targeted the family because of their Muslim faith.
Get market news worthy of your time with Axios Markets. Subscribe for free.
The lone survivor of the attack, a nine-year-old boy, was released from the hospital on Monday. Fayez Afzaal "is expected to recover — it's going to be some time," Saboor Khan told CBC News. "His family's main priority is to support him through that recovery."
Details: Veltman faces four counts of first-degree murder, one count of attempted murder and two terrorism charges.
He ran over the family in a pick-up truck as they were waiting to cross the street.
It marked the first mass killing in London's history, per CBC News.
The big picture: Prime Minister Justin Trudeau condemned the attack last week, calling it a "terrorist attack" fueled by "toxic rhetoric" and discrimination.
The killings come amid an uptick in Islamophobic incidents across Canada.
More from Axios: Sign up to get the latest market trends with Axios Markets. Subscribe for free