Sarah Michelle Gellar shares how she stays private in the age of social media
Sarah Michelle Gellar shares how she stays private in the age of social media
A senior European Medicines Agency (EMA) official urged European Union members on Sunday to refrain from granting national approvals for Russian COVID-19 vaccine Sputnik V while the agency reviews its safety and effectiveness. Sputnik V has already been approved or is being assessed for approval in three EU member states - Hungary, Slovakia and the Czech Republic - and EU officials have said Brussels could start negotiations with a vaccine maker if at least four member countries request it.
A new market rally attempt has begun, but don't rush in or assume old winners like Tesla will lead. The Senate passed the Biden stimulus plan.
Everything you need to know about the high-profile televised event
The Saudi-led coalition fighting Iran-backed rebels in Yemen said Sunday that it had launched a new air campaign on the country’s capital and other provinces, in retaliation for a series of missile and drone strikes targeting key military and oil facilities across Saudi Arabia.
Queen will be briefed by aide on interview’s contents on Monday morning
More than 110,000 Olympic volunteers had their dream summer all mapped out for 2020. Instead, the unsung backbone of any Olympics - its corps of volunteers - has had to recalibrate lives, put vacations or returns to home countries on hold and seek out part-time jobs in Japan so they are still free to volunteer. "I'm actually wavering about taking part now," said Yamamura, 40, who lives in southwestern Japan, far from Tokyo.
Gary Inzerillo was awarded the Bronze Star, Victory Medal, the Combat Infantry Badge, and numerous other medals for bravery.
(Bloomberg) -- Saudi Arabia said one of the most protected crude facilities in the world came under missile attack on Sunday, in a clear escalation of hostilities that sent oil prices surging.The drone and missile attacks were intercepted and crude production appeared to be unaffected. But the latest in a spate of assaults claimed by Iran-backed Houthi rebels sent oil prices above $70.The attacks are the most serious against Saudi oil installations since a key processing facility and two oil fields came under fire in September 2019, cutting oil production for several days and exposing the vulnerability of the Saudi petroleum industry. That was claimed by Yemen’s Houthi rebels, although Riyadh pointed the finger at arch-rival Iran.On Sunday, the Saudi Energy Ministry said a storage tank in the Ras Tanura export terminal in the country’s Gulf coast was attacked by a drone from the sea. Shrapnel from a missile also landed near a residential compound for employees of national oil company Saudi Aramco in Dhahran. Witnesses reported an explosion rocking the city, and windows shaking.“Both attacks did not results in any injury or loss of life or property,” said a spokesman for the Saudi Energy Ministry. A person familiar with the situation also said oil output was unaffected.Massive FacilityRas Tanura is the world’s largest oil terminal, capable of exporting roughly 6.5 million barrels a day -- nearly 7% of oil demand -- and as such one of the world’s most protected installations. The port includes a large storage tank farm where crude is kept before it’s pumped into super-tankers.A Saudi-led coalition has been fighting the Iran-backed Houthis in Yemen’s civil war since 2015.On Sunday, it carried out retaliatory air strikes on Yemen’s capital, Sana’a. It said it intercepted missiles and drones launched at the kingdom from neighboring Yemen, just as the Houthi rebels claimed a series of attacks -- including one on Ras Tanura.The group launched eight ballistic missiles and 14 bomb-laden drones at Saudi Arabia, a spokesman for the Houthis, Yahya Saree, said in a statement to Houthi-run Al Masirah television.The Houthis have stepped up assaults on Saudi Arabia and last week claimed they hit a Saudi Aramco fuel depot in Jeddah with a cruise missile. It wasn’t clear how much damage had been caused. While such assaults rarely result in extensive damage, their frequency has created unease in the Gulf.The Houthis have been fighting Yemen’s United Nations-recognized government since 2014. The Saudi-led coalition intervened the following year to back the government. The UN has called the conflict -- in which tens of thousands have died -- the world’s worst humanitarian crisis.The Saudi-led coalition said a recent U.S. decision to revoke the designation of the rebels as terrorists had fueled the rise in attacks. The Biden administration has moved to ditch the designation, which was adopted toward the end of President Donald Trump’s time in office and was seen as a way of increasing pressure on Iran.(Adds market reaction from first paragraph)For more articles like this, please visit us at bloomberg.comSubscribe now to stay ahead with the most trusted business news source.©2021 Bloomberg L.P.
Two-hour special will air today in the US
New York, New York--(Newsfile Corp. - March 7, 2021) - Pomerantz LLP announces that a class action lawsuit has been filed against EHang Holdings Limited ("EHang" or the "Company") (NASDAQ: EH) and certain of its officers. The class action, filed in the United States District Court for the Central District of California, and docketed under 21-cv-01811, is on behalf of a class consisting of all investors who purchased or otherwise acquired EHang ...
Despite its emphasis on Asian representation and Southeast Asian themes, Disney’s “Raya and the Last Dragon” failed to soar in China, coming in third with just $8.4 million, according to Maoyan data. While the sum might look respectable in other pandemic-stricken locales, it falls short in China’s recovered movie market, which has set box office […]
Mar. 7—Starting at 8 a.m. Monday, Anchorage will further lift certain pandemic restrictions across the municipality, but the core virus prevention measures — like requirements to wear a mask and stay a minimum of six feet from others — will stay in place. The move comes as the number of Anchorage residents who have been vaccinated against COVID-19 grows and recent case counts continue to ...
Mar. 7—The state is taking the unusual step of filing criminal charges against the operators of a Houston cannabis business based on accusations they sprayed potentially toxic pesticides on marijuana plants. A state environmental crimes prosecutor this week filed misdemeanor charges of pesticide pollution, misuse of pesticide and reckless endangerment against Ron and Lacey Bass and their ...
Jurors will probably hear a "battle of the experts" over George Floyd's autopsy results and differing views on the video in Derek Chauvin's murder trial
The White House is partnering with social media influencers and online platforms to sell its message directly to the American people in a fresh facet of its digital strategy, administration officials tell Axios. Why it matters: The “digital media tour” mimics an approach used last year, when the Biden campaign sought to reach a younger demographic wary of the possibility of an older, out-of-touch president. Stay on top of the latest market trends and economic insights with Axios Markets. Subscribe for freeIn its first deployment of the strategy, the White House offered up two National Economic Council directors for interviews last week with social media influencers like “Budgetnista” and “The Money Coach."The goal was to have them help persuade Americans — and their representatives in Congress — to support President Biden’s $1.9 trillion COVID-19 relief plan. The bill ended up passing the Senate on Saturday, and without any Republican support, as it had the House.The White House tried its direct-to-constituent approach because a majority of Americans strongly supported the bill, including 60% of Republicans who either strongly supported or somewhat supported the package, per a Morning Consult/Politico poll. The White House will use this strategy as it continues to introduce new policies and proposals. The idea is to find influencers who've earned the trust of dedicated audiences. They come with a set of unique followers on platforms like Instagram that the White House would be unable to reach through its own social media following. Some of the influencers have solicited questions from their followers.The White House officials offered for interviews go through a series of one-on-ones in a round-robin format, staying in place while interviewees are “switchboarded” in on Zoom.Those influencers are then allowed to use the content however they see fit on their platforms. The bottom line: This style of outreach is an outgrowth of the COVID-19 pandemic public health restrictions, which limited the Biden campaign’s ability to do in-person outreach.The direct-through-influencer approach also comes as White House reporters have become impatient waiting for the president's first press conference.Press secretary Jen Psaki said Friday that Biden will hold one "before the end of the month."More from Axios: Sign up to get the latest market trends with Axios Markets. Subscribe for free
With the Senate done battling over President Biden's coronavirus rescue package, it's preparing to tackle another priority: earmarks.Driving the news: Sens. Patrick Leahy (D-Vt.) and Richard Shelby (R-Ala.), the top members on the Senate Appropriations Committee, are expected to work out a deal restoring the congressional spending tool in the coming weeks, committee aides tell Axios.Get market news worthy of your time with Axios Markets. Subscribe for free.Earmarks give lawmakers the power to direct spending to pay for special projects in their districts. They've already been reintroduced in the House.The process faces tougher obstacles in the Senate, given its razor-thin majority, though lawmakers are hopeful Leahy can reach an agreement with Shelby.Two Democratic committee aides tell Axios that if Republicans refuse to come on board, they expect Leahy will drop earmarks altogether rather than try to push through a Democrat-only proposal.Behind the scenes: For years, Appropriations Committee members have privately complained about the absence of earmarks.“Congress has the power of the purse laid out by the Constitution, directing where U.S. taxpayer dollars will go," a committee aide said."The idea that some bureaucrat in D.C. has a better idea of where funding should go in these districts and states, than the representatives themselves, is absurd."The aide said most Appropriations Committee members share the sentiment.Leahy and other pro-earmarks lawmakers have a couple of tools to help restore earmarks:Joe Biden. He was very effective in using earmarks while in the Senate, and successfully used them to get funding for Dover Air Force Base and other projects in Delaware.While no one in the executive branch will openly admit they like earmarks, since they cede power to Congress, the president "certainly understands earmarks and their value," one aide said.Biden has been quiet about the topic, a sign he's giving Congress breathing room to negotiate.Fresh guardrails. Democrats plan to implement new restrictions making it far more difficult to misuse earmarks.A series of scandals involving members abusing the process prompted a moratorium on earmarks in 2011.The new rules would limit the number of requests each lawmaker can make; require each earmark to have community support; cap total funding projects to 1% of all discretionary spending, and require members to post their earmark requests on their websites.The bottom line: The longer they stray from 2011 and the more turnover in their chambers, members of Congress will find it more difficult to reinstitute them.Go deeper: Here come Earmarks 2.0.More from Axios: Sign up to get the latest market trends with Axios Markets. Subscribe for free
Sen. Josh Hawley's effort to block certification of the 2020 election has been a fundraising boon — not just for himself but his party, Axios has learned.Why it matters: Corporate donors and establishment Republicans recoiled at the Jan. 6 siege on the Capitol that followed efforts by Hawley (R-Mo.) and others to block President Biden's Electoral College victory. But fundraising numbers show the GOP grassroots is still firmly in Hawley's camp.Get market news worthy of your time with Axios Markets. Subscribe for free.What's new: Digital fundraising appeals sent by the National Republican Senatorial Committee under Hawley's name raised more money in February than those of any other senator except NRSC Chairman Rick Scott.The NRSC has a Hawley-branded page on the fundraising platform WinRed, asking donors to "help end cancel culture and take back the Senate majority!" It also sent at least two fundraising emails last month under Hawley's name.Scott (R-Fla.) was another of the eight senators to vote against certification, but fears it also might dent NRSC fundraising do not appear to be bearing out.Hawley's personal fundraising also has spiked, according to data provided by a source close to his campaign.From Jan. 1 through March 5, Hawley's campaign brought in more than $1.5 million from nearly 28,000 donors, the vast majority of whom had never given to him before.That's more than 12 times what Hawley raised during the first quarter of 2020, and more than 34 times what he brought in during the first quarter of 2019 — and there's still more than three weeks left in the current quarter.Hawley also has received some fundraising help from the Senate Conservatives Fund, which has been bundling contributions for him.Independent political spenders have also gotten in on the action.A PAC called Protect American Values has sent a number of fundraising emails since February using Hawley's name to try to raise money for itself."Josh is not just a U.S. senator, but now he’s also the symbol of the patriotic, liberty-loving American who refuses to give up and is frustrated by the leftist takeover of America," one of the group's emails declared.Between the lines: In the weeks after the Capitol attack, it looked like Republicans might try to steer the party away from the Trump-aligned bloc that tried to block election certification.Part of that was fueled by a swift and widespread backlash from the party's corporate donors, many of which swore off contributions to members who had voted against certifying electoral college results.These numbers indicate the party's grassroots backfilled any losses by stepping up on behalf of the lawmakers who may have been targeted.Now even some major corporate donors, such as the U.S. Chamber of Commerce, say they won't cut off members of Congress just because they voted against certification.The bottom line: Campaign donations are the lifeblood of politicians, and right now there's little such incentive for Republicans to tack toward the center.Like this article? Get more from Axios and subscribe to Axios Markets for free.
Some Pre-K through 2nd grade Philadelphia students will return to in-person learning on Monday morning.
New York, New York--(Newsfile Corp. - March 7, 2021) - Pomerantz LLP is investigating claims on behalf of investors of Meridian Bioscience, Inc. ("Meridian" or the "Company") (NASDAQ: VIVO). Such investors are advised to contact Robert S. Willoughby at email@example.com or 888-476-6529, ext. 7980.The investigation concerns whether Meridian and certain of its officers and/or directors have engaged in securities fraud or other unlawful business practices. [Click here for information about joining ...
Mar. 7—JUNEAU — Alaska is now spending more on prisons than its state university, a reversal of the state's longtime practice, and the gap would widen under a draft budget being considered by the state legislature. Since 2015, when adjusted for inflation, Alaska has cut by 22.4% the amount it spends on the operations of all state agencies combined. The Alaska Department of Corrections is the ...