Producers may apply for crops not covered by federal crop insurance

Standard-Speaker, Hazleton, Pa.
·1 min read

Mar. 3—Farmers whose crops aren't covered by federal insurance have an alternative, but time is running out to take advantage of it.

Kelly E. Sundy, county executive director of United States Department of Agriculture's Farm Service Agency in Schuylkill County, reminded producers that they can enroll in FSA's Noninsured Crop Disaster Assistance Program, or NAP, until March 15.

NAP provides financial assistance to producers of noninsurable crops when low yields, loss of inventory or prevented planting occur due to normal disasters.

"Purchasing a crop insurance policy is an easy way for producers to mitigate risk," Sundy said. "The past few years have shown that natural disasters can severely impact an otherwise successful operation."

To be eligible for NAP, crops must be noninsurable, commercially produced agricultural commodity crops for which the catastrophic risk protection level of crop insurance is not available.

If the Risk Management Agency offers coverage for a crop in the county, NAP coverage is not available for that crop. Eligible producers can apply for coverage using form CCC-471, "Application for Coverage."

Producers must file the application and service fee by the March 15 deadline. Producers can determine eligibility for federal crop insurance or NAP by visiting https://webapp.rma.usda


Federal crop insurance coverage is sold solely through private agents. Lists are available at all USDA Service Centers or at USDA's online Agent Locator: Producers can use the USDA Cost Estimator,, to predict insurance premium costs.

For more information on NAP, service fees and sales deadlines, contact the Schuylkill County FSA office at 570-622-1555, Ext. 2, or visit