Jan. 21—Here's a listing of other ice fishing tournaments and derbies coming up in eastern North Dakota and northwest Minnesota, based on permit info from the North Dakota Game and Fish Department and the Minnesota Department of Natural Resources. The Minnesota listings may be incomplete because of a backlog in processing tournament applications, according to DNR fisheries managers.
* Feb. 5: 22nd Annual Larimore Vets Club Fishing Tournament, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., Larimore Dam near Larimore, North Dakota. Prizes for top perch, pike, walleye, bass and crappie. Drawings for prizes and awards set for 3 p.m. at Willy's Bar in Larimore; need not be present to win. Tickets $10, includes $2.50 tournament fee and $7.50 raffle ticket fee.
* Feb. 12: Tolna Volunteer Fire Department derby, Stump Lake near Tolna; Bryant Huso, Tolna, (701) 213-6480.
* Feb. 26: Dakota Prairie Wildlife Club derby, Matejcek Dam; Laurie Skibicki, Fordville, (701) 330-3158.
* Feb. 5: American Legion Community Fishing Raffle and Ice Fishing Contest (over $100,000 in prizes). Fish Hook Lake near Park Rapids; entry fee $40. Info: David Hanson,
* Feb. 6: 65th Annual Knights of Columbus Fishing Derby, 1 to 3 p.m., Thief River Falls. Derby will be held on the Red Lake River by the Eighth Street Bridge on state Highway 1 across from Northland Community and Technical College. A raffle drawing for one $1,000 cash prize, one $500 cash prize and five $100 cash prizes will be held at 3 p.m. on the ice. In addition, $100 will be awarded for the largest northern pike and largest walleye, along with a $50 cash prize for the first fish to be weighed in. Tickets are available from Knights of Columbus members, at most convenience stores, KTRF Radio and at the fishing derby entrance. Info: Robert Buresh, (218) 686-0245.
* Feb. 12: Battle Lake Area Sporting Club, West Battle Lake, Otter Tail County; entry fee $10. Info: Cole Mathues,
* Feb 12: Ice Buster Daze Fishing Derby, Red Lake River in Crookston. Registration begins at 11 a.m. at Central Park, with fishing from 1 to 4 p.m. Entry fee $25 per hole. Ticket sales limited to 350; fishing prizes to 17th place and numerous raffle prizes will be offered (need not be present to win raffle prizes). Tickets/info: Brian, (218) 281-7762; or Hardware Hank, (218) 281-1749.
* Feb. 19: Springsteel Resort Fishing Derby, noon to 3 p.m., Muskeg Bay on Lake of the Woods at Springsteel Resort north of Warroad, Minn. Prizes down to fourth place for largest walleye, northern pike and perch, and a $200 prize for the largest burbot. Nearly 60 raffle prizes, including the first prize of $10,000 cash; need not be present for raffle prizes. Tickets: $20, available at all of the gas stations and many businesses in Warroad, along with Denny's Outdoor Sports and Holiday in Roseau, Minnesota, and Rivers Edge Station and the American Legion in Greenbush, Minnesota. Info: Springsteel Resort, (218) 386-1000; Warroad Chamber, (218) 386-3543; or online at
* Feb. 26: Birchmont Winter Bash, Lake Bemidji $20 entry fee. Info: Aaron Guthrie, (218) 368-8685.