A British toddler who died on a Thomas Cook holiday in Turkey could have been poisoned by paracetamol prescribed by doctors in the country, it has been revealed.
A pre-inquest into the death of three-year-old Lily Gibson heard the child fell ill while on a break with mum Lisa and dad Chris in the Bodrum Resort in Mugla.
According to The Sun, experts at the pre-inquest review said they feared Lily suffered fatal liver damage after being given an “inappropriate dose” of the painkiller.
Coroner Prof Robert Forrest told the hearing in Sheffield, South Yorkshire, that Lily’s organs had been flown to the UK for analysis by paediatric pathologist Dr Marta Cohen.
Dr Cohen was unable to determine a firm cause of death but expressed “worries” about the medicine she was told to take.
“Lily plainly had a problem with her liver and what Dr Cohen wants to do is look at all the details we have of the treatment Lily received at the walk-in centre in Turkey,” Prof Forrest said.
READ MORE FROM YAHOO NEWS UK:
“Not to beat about the bush, the thing that slightly worries Dr Cohen could be an inappropriate dose of paracetamol being given to Lily.
“I’m not in any way suggesting that is the cause of death but it is something that Dr Cohen wants to look at.”
Lily was reportedly spent six hours at a local medical centre and was wired up to a drip after “turning yellow” with jaundice.
She was later sent away with a prescription for a nearby pharmacy which her mother said they “assumed was their version of Calpol”.
But Lily later died in her hotel room and an inquest set for next year is set to examine the circumstances surrounding her death.