Josh Jackson (Detroit Pistons) with a deep 3 vs the New Orleans Pelicans, 02/24/2021
Josh Jackson (Detroit Pistons) with a deep 3 vs the New Orleans Pelicans, 02/24/2021
NOORULLAH SHIRZADA/AFP via Getty ImagesThe Taliban never kept secret what their reaction would be if the Biden administration delays the withdrawal of American troops from Afghanistan, and now that it’s happened, U.S. forces may have to deal with a new, unbridled wave of violence and bloodshed in the months leading up to the new September pull-out deadline.Hours after news broke on Tuesday that following a “rigorous policy review,” President Joe Biden is planning to have all U.S. troops out of Afghanistan by Sept. 11—a break away from the previously agreed May 1 deadline—Taliban military leaders sat down for a policy review of their own. The group then announced it would be boycotting peace talks unless “all foreign forces completely withdraw from our homeland.”Speaking to The Daily Beast on Wednesday, Mullah Salih Khan, a Taliban group commander from Afghanistan’s Helmand Province, said that the insurgent group is “very much prepared to strike,” against U.S. and Afghan government forces, warning that the militants will turn Afghanistan “into a nightmare” for them.Mullah Mujahid Rahman, a Taliban subcommander from the Ghazni province, added that the U.S. has “proven they can’t be trusted after retreating from the May 1 deadline,” and that the group is willing to “fight till the end” of the U.S. presence in Afghanistan.“We have the pride of defeating about 100,000 invaders from [different] countries in Afghanistan. A few thousand won’t be a problem at all,” he said, referring to the 3,500 American troops still stationed in the country.Taliban Boycotts Key Peace Talks After U.S. Pull-Out DelayExperts say this reaction shouldn’t come as a surprise.“Afghanistan will likely see an unrestricted fighting season, with attacks on Afghan provincial capitals as well as against foreign forces,” Andrew Watkins, Crisis Group's Senior Analyst for Afghanistan, told The Daily Beast. “It is hard to say if the talks have been entirely halted, but it’s also difficult to see any reason for the Taliban to continue, if, as they seem to suggest so far, the Doha deal has been broken by the U.S.”There were signs of the violence-to-come even before U.S. officials shared news of the extended deadline, when rumors of a seemingly inevitable delay were swirling both domestically and abroad.Most dramatic among them was one video shared across their social media platforms last week, portraying what appears to be the Taliban’s training facility, somewhere between the mountains of Afghanistan and Pakistan. The 50-second clip, made in English for the benefit of international parties, shows an assortment of 50 odd young men—part of the Taliban’s martyrdom-seeking forces of suicide bomber and fighters—dressed in military fatigues and with their faces covered.Wearing a jacket with the initials “I.E.A”, an acronym for the Islamic Emirate of Afghanistan—the Taliban’s self-given name—one of them issues a warning against the Americans: “God willing, if they do not abide by the agreement they will be responsible for the killing in the next war,” he said, adding that the martyrdom forces are “waiting the order of the Emir and the establishment of the Islamic system all around the world.”“It seems clear from the Taliban’s response that even if they privately celebrate the news of a U.S. withdrawal, the primary mood is mistrust, and they reject the announcement as an abrogation of the U.S.-Taliban deal,” said Watkins, adding that while the Taliban may resume talks with Americans., “there is very little chance of the Taliban committing to real compromise in peace talks with other Afghan stakeholders.”Other stakeholders believe that the seeming disintegration of the peace process might not entirely be on Biden, but can also be attributed to developing fractures within Taliban’s insurgency.“Not all of the Taliban have been in favour of power sharing, inclusive governments. Many among them want a monopoly over everything,” Rahmatullah Nabil, a former Afghan spy chief, told The Daily Beast.He was referring to the many recent proposals made public that detail a potential deal between the Taliban and the Afghan government. One such proposal from the U.S. recommended a power-sharing agreement between the warring parties, and has been criticized by the members of the US congress.Biden Desperate for Last-Ditch Afghan Deal Before Admitting He’ll Miss Trump’s Withdrawal DeadlineNabil continues to maintain strong intelligence networks, and had previously warned of the Taliban’s lack of commitment to the process and the U.S.-facilitated deal, which seems to have emboldened the insurgent group.“The Taliban is consulting with their leaders in Pakistan… but with no actual pressure on the Taliban’s main backers like the Pakistani military and ISI, we will plunge into another crisis if the peace process collapses and Americans withdraw,” he warned.Hekmatullah Azamy, deputy director of Centre for Conflict and Peace Studies, an Afghan think tank closely observing the political and security developments, gave a similar assessment.“The Taliban’s military wing feels compelled to teach the Americans a lesson for not abiding with their promised deadline, and as such they will restart the violence. Unfortunately, the political wing that is conducting the negotiations is unable to convince them otherwise,” Azamy told The Daily Beast.In any case, an increase in violence seems inevitable.“Such units are already prepared for battle,” Azamy said, referring to the information gathered by his organisation. “They understand that it won’t be easy, and the U.S. is fully-equipped to respond to their attacks. But many among them are willing to engage in conflict anyway.”Meanwhile, Afghan government officials are opting to remain optimistic, as the U.S.’s extended stay in Afghanistan gives them a little more time to develop diplomatic and political pressure on the Taliban to agree to a possible ceasefire.“I think the U.S.’s extension on troop withdrawal could be a good thing for Afghanistan. It will force the Taliban to reconsider their stance,” a senior Afghan security official told The Daily Beast. But the official was less certain that the Taliban would actually escalate violence against the U.S. right away: “They have gained so much, it is unlikely that they will risk it all,” he said.Some in the Taliban, however, continue to promise otherwise.“We never paused our Jihad after the U.S.-Taliban deal,” said Mullah Salih Khan, one of the Taliban commanders who spoke to The Daily Beast. “There is nothing for the Taliban to lose, but the puppet Afghan government will lose everything .”Read more at The Daily Beast.Get our top stories in your inbox every day. Sign up now!Daily Beast Membership: Beast Inside goes deeper on the stories that matter to you. Learn more.
Reviewers can't stop singing this portable massager's praises — and neither can we. Plus, it's on sale!
Virus-spreading zombies on TV were no match for the existential dread caused by the coronavirus, the actor told Conan O'Brien.
Fed Chairman Jerome Powell said that he has not yet met with President Joe Biden, illustrating the administration’s caution in approaching matters at the independent central bank.
The trip would be her first foreign visit as vice president and won't include a stop at the U.S.-Mexico border.
The Academy Award winner said her country star husband is "pretty low-maintenance," with the exception of their spa days
The U.S. Justice Department has closed its investigation into the death of Ashli Babbitt, a participant in a Jan. 6 riot shot by U.S. Capitol Police, saying there was no evidence to prove the officer who shot her had violated her civil rights. Federal and local investigators have determined "there is insufficient evidence to support a criminal prosecution," the Justice Department said in a statement on Wednesday, adding that her family had been informed of the decision. Babbitt, 35, was an Air Force veteran and ardent supporter of former Republican President Donald Trump who endorsed his false claims that the election was stolen.
Jayson Tatum was diagnosed with COVID-19 in early January, and is still struggling with lingering symptoms
The Dow Jones Industrial Average traded mildly higher in today's stock market as the major indexes were mixed in early afternoon trading
The Italian fashion group OTB and its Foundation have been rolling out a number of initiatives to help ease the impact of the pandemic on the territory.
Fed Chairman Jerome Powell suggested Wednesday that, when the Fed decides to slow or taper its asset purchases, it will use the same strategy it used in 2013 and 2014.
The former Bachelor star opened up about his sexual orientation on Good Morning America on Wednesday
Jeff Bezos’ Blue Origin company strapped two employees into a fueled rocketship for practice, but pulled them out shortly before sending the capsule to the edge of space Wednesday with only a test dummy. The crew rehearsal in West Texas brings Blue Origin closer to launching tourists and others into space. Blue Origin wanted to see how well a crew could get in and out of the capsule.
An expert CDC committee meets Wednesday to discuss cases of a rare blot clotting disorder associated with the Johnson & Johnson COVID-19 vaccine.
Ashli Babbitt, 35, was shot attempting to climb through a barricaded door near the House chamber. The officer was firing in defense, DOJ found.
The royal siblings and their cousins gathered for a sweet portrait
As pressure grows on corporations to continue to speak out forcefully against efforts to restrict voter access to the polls, some shareholders are calling on corporations to reform their political spending practices.
Calgary, Alberta--(Newsfile Corp. - April 14, 2021) - Trican Well Service Ltd. (TSX: TCW) ("Trican" or the "Company") intends to release its First Quarter 2021 results on Wednesday, May 12, 2021 after the close of the market.The company will host a conference call on Thursday, May 13, 2021 at 10:00 a.m. MT (12:00 p.m. ET) to discuss the Company's results for the 2021 First Quarter.To listen to the webcast of the conference call, please ...
Italy's Agnelli and France's Peugeot, the largest shareholders in Stellantis, have signed a consultation agreement, holding companies representing the two families said on Wednesday, on the eve of the carmakers' first annual general meeting. Exor and Peugeot 1810 said in a joint statement they had entered an understanding "aimed at strengthening the relations between the Agnelli and Peugeot families and to provide support for Stellantis in its long-term success". With a 14.4% stake, Exor is the single largest shareholder in Stellantis, the world's fourth largest carmaker, which was formed in January through the merger of Italian-American Fiat Chrysler and France's PSA.
Devastating program and job cuts at Laurentian University will have a profound impact on students and the region's economic and social development.