House fire in central Abilene Wednesday causes $50,000 in damage

A house fire Wednesday in central Abilene caused $50,000 in damage and caught a nearby shed ablaze, the Abilene Fire Department said in a news release.

Fire personnel called about 1 p.m. to the 400 block of Meander Street reported heavy smoke in the area prior to their arrival. The single-family home was engulfed in flames, with heavy smoke and fire showing.

A defensive attack was made due to fire conditions, and neighboring homes were protected by fire crews, the release said.

Multiple people were home at the time of the fire, AFD said. No injuries were reported.

This article originally appeared on Abilene Reporter-News: House fire in Abilene causes $50,000 in damage