Set course for Downton Abbey; the Crawleys have sent out an invitation to tea and a new-fangled film at Robinson Film Center. Invite pals along to paint and sip and create- in any order you choose. Sleep late, then roll into a super Sunday that features a popular brunch return, a dynamic artistic duo’s exhibit opening, and conversation and creating with friends. Recharge your batteries and ramp up your excitement this weekend in our #CoolDowntown.
1. Alert the ladies’ maid and ring the butler, the Crawleys are back! Downton Abbey: A New Era opens this weekend at Robinson Film Center with a Friday High Tea and Saturday Brunch. Brush off your British accent and dress like the 1920s to welcome our favorite upstairs/downstairs semi-Royal family back to the big screen. When: Fri., May 20, 4 pm (High Tea) & Sat. May 21, 10:30 am (Brunch), plus multiple showings. Where: Robinson Film Center, 617 Texas St. Cost: $6.50/$30. Info: robinsonfilmcenter.org
2. Find your fun with a brush this weekend at Artipsy’s RB Paint and Sip and Wine & Whiskey Paint parties. Enjoy evenings that include both art and adult beverages --- you take home a lasting memory on canvas. When: Fri. & Sat., May 20 & 21, 7 pm. 21 & up only, please. Where: 450 Clyde Fant Pkwy in the Red River District. Cost: $35 Info: FB/artipsy
3. Did someone say Sunday Brunch? Yes, Fatty Arbuckles’ did! Downtown’s very own ‘Cheers’ tavern is bringing back their popular Sunday repast that combines the best of breakfast and lunch. It is brunch in the truest sense of the word- sleep in, jump up and chow down! When: Sundays, noon- 4 pm. Where: 450 Clyde Fant Parkway in the Red River District. Cost: Various. Info: FB/fatty arbuckles
4. Big Sun Studios welcomes you to Coffee & Punch, an exhibit with two artists and twice the creativity! Veronica ‘Ron’ Brown pulls you into the special world she sees through her camera lens, while Ben Ware uses paints and inks to share a deeper look at roiling emotions. You will ‘feel’ the works of these two amazing creatives. When: Sunday, May 22, 2-5 pm. Where: 619 Edwards Street. Cost: Free admission. Info: bigsunstudios.com
5. What the world needs now? Sure, maybe a little love, sweet love, but some compassion wouldn’t hurt, either. The Bloom Sister Circle: Choosing Love & Compassion in a World of Conflict, features herbalist Lee Ann Monat of LionArt Creations and artist Kalandra Jones of ka.lan.DRAW for an afternoon of tea, creating, and nourishing conversation. When: Sunday, May 22, 3-5 pm. Where: Andress Artist Center, 717 Crockett St. Cost: $15. Info: Fb/andress artist and entrepreneur
This article originally appeared on Shreveport Times: 5 things to do in downtown Shreveport May 20