Shocking pictures show house lying in ruins after three people survive huge gas explosion

Andy Wells
·Freelance Writer
·3 min read
The house in Bude, Cornwall, was left in ruins after a huge gas explosion. (SWNS)
A house in Bude, Cornwall, was left in ruins after a huge gas explosion. (SWNS)

These shocking pictures show the devastating aftermath of a huge gas explosion at a house in Cornwall that left the building in ruins.

Witnesses described hearing a loud bang as large parts of the property in Bude collapsed on to the street at around 9pm on Wednesday night.

Emergency services rushed to the scene shortly after the explosion amid fears people were trapped inside the rubble.

Images released by the fire service showed bricks and mortar lying around the garden as the top of the house dangled perilously in the air.

Homeowner Darren Cornish lives at the address with his parents. (SWNS)
Homeowner Darren Cornish lives at the address with his parents. (SWNS)
Bricks and mortar lie around the garden as the top of the house dangles perilously in the air. (SWNS)
Bricks and mortar lie around the garden as the top of the house dangles perilously in the air. (SWNS)
A double bed is exposed to the street from an upper floor room hanging precariously after the support collapsed below. (SWNS)
A double bed is exposed to the street from an upper floor room hanging precariously after the support collapsed below. (SWNS)

But rescuers confirmed that all three people that were inside at the time made it out safely and were taken to hospital suffering only "minor injuries”.

Several neighbours also needed to be evacuated due to the unstable structure.

Homeowner Darren Cornish lives at the address with his parents, and witnesses living nearby said it was a miracle no one was more seriously hurt.

Heather Hurley-Small said: "I heard it when it went off and it was a gas explosion at the furthest house [in the street].

"It left a massive hole in the front of the house, I was told people weren't badly injured which was a relief."

Bude Community Fire Station said: “Shortly after 9pm on Wednesday, we received multiple calls to a serious incident involving a gas explosion at a property in Bude, with people potentially trapped inside.

Watch: At Least Two Killed in Madrid Building Explosion

"Thankfully on arrival it was quickly established that all persons were accounted for, and remarkably, there were no serious injuries – those involved were left in the care of the South Western Ambulance Service NHS Foundation Trust crews.

A chest of drawers is among the items seen on the street. (SWNS)
A chest of drawers is among the items seen on the street. (SWNS)
The explosion left the house exposed, with a bath seen sitting at the edge. (SWNS)
The explosion left the house exposed, with a bath seen sitting at the edge. (SWNS)
Onlookers stand outside the house following the explosion on Wednesday. (SWNS)
Onlookers stand outside the house following the explosion on Wednesday. (SWNS)

“Due to the instability of the dangerous structure, a strict cordon was put until place, the gas and electricity supplies were isolated and the nearby properties were evacuated.

"Fire crews and officers from Bude Police monitored the building closely whilst a structural engineer carried out checks.

“Once it was deemed that there was no further risk of danger, our crews left the scene shortly after midnight, and the incident was handed over to the police and gas safety engineers."

Pictures taken from the outside also showed a double bed exposed to the street from an upper floor room hanging precariously after the support collapsed below.

Various other items – including a kettle and a bath – could also be seen as a result of the explosion.

Several neighbours needed to be evacuated due to the unstable structure. (SWNS)
Several neighbours needed to be evacuated due to the unstable structure. (SWNS)
The kitchen is now visible from the outside of the house. (SWNS)
The kitchen is now visible from the outside of the house. (SWNS)
Resident Darren Cornish is seen with injuries on his face. (SWNS)
Resident Darren Cornish is seen with injuries on his face. (SWNS)

Glenn Thorne, Wales and West Utilities Gas emergency service manager for Bude, said: “We were called to reports of an explosion at a property and immediately sent a team of engineers to the scene.

“On arrival we found that the property had been damaged and emergency services were in control of the scene.

“We worked with the emergency services to make the area safe and carried out all necessary gas safety checks. We have found no evidence of a mains gas leak in the area and the property itself was not connected to our gas network.

“The cause of the explosion is still being investigated by the emergency services – however, we do not believe it is related to the mains gas network."

Watch: What you can and can’t do in England’s third national lockdown