A smoky fire prompted the evacuation of a senior living facility and relocation of its residents early Tuesday on the east side of Indianapolis, according to the city’s fire department.
Staffers at CrownPointe senior living community reported the fire minutes after midnight when the blaze began in the dining hall.
Fire crews arrived to the building at 7365 East 16th St. and led 44 residents and staff members out of the facility. All residents were accounted for and no one was injured in the fire, the Indianapolis Fire Department said.
The department called IndyGo buses to bring residents to a heated shelter as firefighters battled the blaze. Twenty fire trucks from the Indianapolis Fire Department and Lawrence were dispatched to the fire, and an additional 15 trucks followed.
IFD Command ordered a 2nd alarm for manpower at 7365 E 16th St, to mitigate the evacuations. All residents were accounted for & placed onto heated Indy Go Buses brought in for shelter. They were then moved to a nearby senior living home that graciously opened it's doors. pic.twitter.com/qjG7B2tc5V
— Indianapolis Fire Department 🚒 (@IFD_NEWS) January 18, 2022
The fire became under control in 30 minutes, the department said.
Officials early Tuesday said the fire originated in the facility’s dining hall, between a fire box and outside wall near a gas fireplace.
Residents and staff were moved from the shelter to another senior living facility next door before 2 a.m.
Contact Sarah Nelson at email@example.com or 317-503-7514.
This article originally appeared on Indianapolis Star: CrownPointe Senior Living evacuated after fire in dining hall